Flexible foam sanding pads on architrave?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have a whole house of highly patterned architrave with loads pf grooves to repaint. I aim to do a light sand so i can gloss over them, and was wondering whether a foam sanding pad would be the most appropriate tool for this job? Do they usually work well or are they a waste of time?

I don't need to to do heavy sanding, just to take the shine off the the gloss but the architrave does have some deep grooves so I'm dreading just doing it by hand alone.

Thanks you for any help.

Sponsored Links
Hi
Keying mouldings is best done by hand as most machines will still miss some areas. Use a green scourer that you would normally use for washing up. Do it wet with warm water and sugar soap. The scourer will give you the best flexibility to get into all the nooks and crannies plus the soap helps to key the surface. Using your fingers gives you the best feel and you do not have to do it to much so you should be able to move along quite quickly.

I disagree with above post all that will do is give the old paint a damn good clean
you are on the right track with those foam sanding pads.
sorry if i am wrong but you make no mention of undercoat glossing on gloss is bad practice and will yellow much quicker use either oilbased u/c or acrylic primer/undercoat hope that helps
:D

Unlike my learned friend, I apologize for not advising on the paint to use but I thought you asked about lightly keying your existing paint. Originally the green scourers were designed by 3M for use on paint in the motor trade. They did not catch on particularly well in that instance but are great for getting a good key on paint in awkward places as is your job. That is why they sell them in decorators merchants. Sugar soap has a keying agent in it so belt and braces applies. Yes it will be nice and clean but more over, ready to take the new paint with no dust in sight to clean up and you are also unlikely to go through the old paint using this method reducing the risk of having to prepare and prime bare areas. In addition, the finer the key the better the job will look in the end. I have 37yrs in this trade. I hope that which ever way you choose it works out for you.

Sponsored Links
Alright guys, thanks for your help.

I was planning to gloss on gloss. If it yellows quicker then that is something I am willing to live with, it's on my rented property and the existing paintwork is rubbish anyway. I am loathe to even do it once (it really, really needs a fresh coat) so I am not going to undercoat it as well (just way too much work - whole house, skirting/architraves/doors).

I was going to use sugar soap to clean after I sanded it but if you think it would provide a sufficient key on its own I am willing to give it a go. I assume it's the non-mixed powdery stuff I need to use and not the yellow concentrated stuff I am currently using?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back