Wooden back door swelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a solid wood back door which has been known to swell a little over the years in damp/humid weather. The outside is painted and a couple of summers ago I treated the bottom for a little rot caused by a metal rain guard at the bottom. The moisture stayed behind it and caused rot. Ironic as it is supposed to shield from rain.

Anyway, it was treated with that special liquid which hardens it off and then it was filled. The warping this winter has caused it to pull away slightly opening the seal a little. Now the door won't shut and you can't even turn the key in the lock because it isn't in line with the bolt hole. When the weather gets warmer and dryer it can be shut and locked.

Is there anything I can do to treat this when it shrinks back down to stop it swelling again ? The inside of the door is still bare wood.

Sponsored Links
Best to start again with a new door, sounds like it's too late to remedy.
Might have absorbed too much water by now?

Get a decent door,treat it all over (put plenty on)Lay it on a level floor so it doesn't warp as its drying out.

Then once dry hang the door and paint or varnish,or do either of these before you hang it if possible.

Can't really hang a new door and fit the locks we have in the warped door. Can't afford to get someone in or a new door :cry:

Sponsored Links
The inside of the door is still bare wood.
Therefore it will be absorbent. As the door is an external one it will be colder than the inside of the house, therefore moisture from the warm humid house will condense onto the surface and soak into the wood.

A breathing stain or paint system is I think best for an external door. If it faces the sun do not use black or dark colours as they will cause it to get hot.

If it is prone to rot I recommend Cuprinol Clear applied once it is dry. Let it dry out fully before painting.

You have to take the door off its hinges to treat or paint it properly, especially the top and bottom. I recommend lift-off hinges which make it all much easier.

Put chalk on the frame to identify where the door is binding. You can probably sand or plane off the high points. It will need treating and painting again on the exposed wood. When it shrinks again in dry weather you will need to fit draught excluders. I am very pleased with the furry pile type.

Thanks John I will do that. It's painted oxford blue which doesn't help in full sun. I will wait till it gets warm and dry. The kitchen does get damp and humid. We need an extractor fan.

I treated it again where it had rotted a little at the bottom, painted the outside undercoat and gloss but now it has swollen again and I can't lock it. This door has always been the same for the 13 years we have been in the house. Never swelled. Nothing different to cause moisture but in the last 2 years it has been difficult. Shall I put a mini dehumidifier in there and then treat the bare wood with teak oil or something else water resistant ?

Please describe how you marked and planed the binding parts.

What treatment did you use on the inside, and on the top and bottom?

I didn't plane them. Painted the outside door undercoat and gloss. Don't paint tops and bottoms. Did it a couple of years ago.

Where are we then ?

Again, will a dehumidifier bring the swelling down ?

I didn't take it because I had totally forgotten about this post as it was written a while ago.

Is there anything else I can do ?

Typical the top was left untreated/painted.
Almost always the top is the issue especially when the door opens out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back