Screwfix for kitchens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone recommend screwfix kitchens at all? Ready assembled and same colour carcasses sounds appealing but anyone had experience with them and pleased with the products?
Cheers
:?:

Sponsored Links
All kitchens are much of a muchness, the person fitting it will determine whether or not it's fit for purpose.

...also whether or not you have kids!

Sponsored Links
Well so far, no actual answers to the original question I posted, just a play on words, so maybe I'll buy a puzzle book instead

By the way, I'm just being sarcastic people. No full blown argument over kitchen units intended. LOL :p

B&Q actually do good take away cabinets you may be surprised to know.

As far as I've been able to work out, all carcasses are the same (apart from thickness). All hinges are the same.

Doors, worktops and handles are where the only choice seems to be and personal choice only - I'd want to see them in the flesh rather than buy over tinternet and it gives the wife and me an excuse for a public fight in a shop. But for carcasses, sure, why not?

Last one I built was 3 years ago and a set from B&Q whose design service was very good. The only real issue we've had is shoddy taps. Second quarter-turn mixer one is failing now, and as I need to lift a worktop and slide remove the belfast sink to replace it this is A Pain. And the oak block worktop needs refinishing, and I suspect will have some stainage even after a lot of sanding, but that's a product issue rather than B&Q.

As above, I wouldn't buy a kitchen without physically seeing at least one carcass.
You can get much better deals elsewhere tbh - Crown Imperial are good. That's who we're going to use, having looked at everyone from Vance's Kitchens from Hell all the way up to Siematic.
Ignore 50% off sales and other daft shed tactics - a local company will undercut them on price and deliver better quality.

ETA - carcasses are not the same - go buy an Ikea carcass and weigh it compared to a carcass made from quality board - Egger etc. There is a difference honestly. The edgings on cheaper carcasses are carp too - better brands - Crown for instance - have 2mm front edging, not the nasty 0.4mm edging that lifts when it gets damp.

Screwfix kitchens are fine, all arrive built too apart from larder units. Expensive way of doing it for tradespeople but for DIY it's ok.

FAO digdilem, Don't know what make your taps are, but many have replaceable capsules which avoid removing the taps. Also, oak block worktops need oiling at minimum 6 month intervals, wooden drainers every month.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back