New gas supply to new garage. copper?MDPE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just built a new garage 14m away from the house and need to get a gas supply to it. The ground is heavy clay and I'm worried about installing copper pipe underground. I've had a gas safe engineer advise me that I cannot use MDPE gas pipe as its only for supply to the meter and it has to be copper under ground from there onwards. The building inspector said not to use copper in clay because of the movement. Could MDPE gas pipe be layed under ground and then connected to the 22mm copper pipe after the meter?
Grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I would have advised Tracpipe also, i have used it often and will do the job, I would suggest though to run it through a sleeve of plastic pipe although you don't need to, also you must make sure there are NO joints underground and any joints you do make must have access to them.

I've had a gas safe engineer advise me that I cannot use MDPE gas pipe as its only for supply to the meter and it has to be copper under ground from there onwards.

Well, that advice is incorrect. You can fit MDPE gas pipe underground on your side of the meter, but it must be converted to an approved metallic tube before it appears overground.

TracPipe is also a (more expensive) option, as mentioned.

Sponsored Links
i do agree with Simond, Tracpipe isn't cheap but very good, I'd still go Tracpipe

Yes, we're doing a 30m length of 32mm TracPipe for an install next week. Costing about £700 for the materials but the speed and convenience helps make up for it.

Whichever solution you employ, it's best to lay the pipe in soft sand and have a warning tape laid above it. BES do a good product which is a yellow warning gas tape containing stainless steel wires.

... I've had a gas safe engineer advise me that I cannot use MDPE gas pipe as its only for supply to the meter and it has to be copper under ground from there onwards....

... The building inspector said not to use copper in clay because of the movement. ...

The RGI is qualified to install gas, the building inspector from the council is not, and in all likelihood somebody who is not quite good enough to work in the private sector; that's usually why they work for the council....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back