Motion Sensor Switch Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought a motion sensor light switch http://kanlux.pl/en/464 hoping for an easy replacement from my current switch, however, I have stumbled across a bit of an issue.

Out of the wall, I have a brown, a blue and an earth. Brown as I would expect is live, and I assume (although I cant see behind the wall, this is just a standard switch circuit, i.e. where the blue isn't really the neutral but the continuation of the live back to a junction box somewhere else). Anyway meter reading across the two is 240 ish as expected - and with the old switch lights are all fine...

However, the new Motion Sensor Switch has three connections plus the ground! These are labelled... also see manual second page of manual http://kanlux.pl/download/instrukcje/00464.pdf

Live In

Live out Load

Neutral In Load

Now I believe the idea is that the 'Live in' is the live effectively from the circuit breaker, the 'Live load' is then the wire to the light, and the Neutral in is the neutral from the Light.

1st Im not really sure how that works(i.e. without a return live), but that doesn't really matter.

What i'm interested in is whether I can easily wire up the motion sensor switch with just the two wires (plus earth) that I have - or whether Im going to have to get a different one.

Help gratefully received

Sponsored Links
You need a 2 wire motion switch as the one you have requires a neutral to operate. Your switch does not have a neutral.

You need a 2 wire motion switch as the one you have requires a neutral to operate.

hmmm so there is no easy (non rewiring) work around then? Do you/anyone know of any that look similar to the Zona - linked above?

Thanks m

Sponsored Links
Sorry,

Although I said "wall" this is really a ceiling (roof space wall slanted wall - there is no horizontal ceiling as such) and because it is in the bathroom it needs to be a ceiling fitting. So are there any ceilling style 2 wire pirs about?

If not - it is a cavity wall/ceiling.. Would running a "neutral" from the end light in the chain back to my current pir work?

Or even would just back from the first in the chain (on the basis that they are all parralled together?

Thought I'd post just incase others have similar dilemma later to say that I tried my last idea (neutral taken from first of the lights) and it works fine.

A much neater way than a pull cord in the middle of the room.

I have even put a bit of wite tape door side to reduce accidental turning on if walking past open door. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back