Garage conversion into two story extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we are planning to buy a house with a possibilty of converting a garage into additonal receiption plus third bedroom above the garage.

i have spoken to the planning officer and have been told that there shouldn't be any problem with planning permission.

my Question is '' Do we actually need a planning permission? if YES, what are the steps to get in one?

another Question is '' current garage has a conceret floor, i was wondering if there is any way to find out if the foundation of the garage is suitable for 2 story extention?

also is there any good guid to drawing plans for application?

Sponsored Links
another Question is '' current garage has a conceret floor, i was wondering if there is any way to find out if the foundation of the garage is suitable for 2 story extention?
Dig down the side of the garage and expose the foundations.. then photos and measure them.. may need to make the second story timber framed to keep it lightweight

my Question is '' Do we actually need a planning permission? if YES, what are the steps to get in one?

You don't know until you ask. A conversion of a garage can normally be dealt with under Permitted Development, providing the property benefits from PD rights and the works are within the PD guidelines. However, the first floor extension over may require PP. Again, depends on the PD requirements.

As mentioned above, you would need to dig a trial hole on the outside of the garage and dig down until you reach the foundations. You would then ask a Building Inspector to pop out to have a look at tell you whether or not it's possible to utilise the existing foundations or underpin, which can be costly. Some LA's will charge for this inspection while others will carry out the inspection, if they are expecting you to proceed with a formal application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back