Viessmann vs Intergas vs Atag

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My installer has quoted for a Keston 40 system boiler, but have read too many adverse comments on this site to accept that make.

My research seems to show that the choice is between the Weismann Vitodens 200W (or 100W?), the Intergas SB 30 (or OV30), or the ATAG A320S.

My current boiler has been in place for some many years, and judging by the colour (& viscosity!) of any water bled from the system, is in need of power-flushing.

Bearing this last factor, does the Intergas heat exchanger offer my best bet, or does the 4:1 modulation of the other burners trump that - providing I fit a spirovent magnabooster?

Sponsored Links
Whatever boiler you choose it must be fitted to a totaly clean system.

A landlord I spoke to yesterday has FOUR cheap Jaguar boilers and in five years has only had three faults, thats one fault every seven years.

In any case two were diaphragm which is almost a service item except this landlord does not get them serviced!

They were obviously fitted to a very clean system.

Tony

I accept that the in the ideal circumstances, the system will end up properly cleaned; however given that if not, I won't know until something possibly goes faulty, does the Intergas heat exchanger offer a clearer path than the others, such that it's a better choice despite it's lesser modulation ratio?

As a mere layman (customer), I buy a boiler every 20 yrs or so, and although I know the installer well, his spec of the Keston has reduced my confidence in his judgement, although not in his honesty.

Are not the experience/opinions of the professionals on this forum the best guide?

Intergas boilers, have a great heat exchanger (22mm heating 12mm hot water) so the chance of it getting clogged up is low (intergas claim they have never had a problem with one of there heat exchangers and give a 10 year gaurentee for them) however if ihibitor is fitted you shoildn't get sludge, they also have no diverter valve (another part that fails alot) I went on a training course for these boilers last week and would definatly recomend them. if your engineer is intergas registered he will give you a 5 year gaurentee!!!!!

Sponsored Links
(Many thanks to Agile & Absolute for taking an interest)

I have to assume he isn't, otherwise why would he have originally quoted for a Keston.

i think the atag is the only one that will get you a standard 5yr gtee regardless of who fits it. I'm an ATAG installer myself and very confident its an excellent product, however I don't think you can go far wrong with Viessmann or Intergas either, the Intergas is probably the most unknown quantity of the 3, with the ATAG a longer standing proven design.

If your system water is that bad, it may be better to replace your radiators at the same time especially if they are more than 20 years old. Powerflushing is often money for old rope and not totally effective when you consider the cleaning part is only ongoing for a matter of minutes. You are better to put the typical £500 cost towards new radiators and then leave a chemical cleaner in for 12 hours with the system running at max temp.

None of your boiler choices are too bad. Id be more inclined for the Atag but go with what your guy suggests.

I've installed both the Intergas and the Viessmann there both good,
But I preffer the Intergas :)

i think the atag is the only one that will get you a standard 5yr gtee regardless of who fits it. I'm an ATAG installer myself and very confident its an excellent product, however I don't think you can go far wrong with Viessmann or Intergas either, the Intergas is probably the most unknown quantity of the 3, with the ATAG a longer standing proven design.
The VM 100 is now 5 years off the shelf Mick

The VM 100 is now 5 years off the shelf Mick
yeh i guessed it would be about that by now, but I've seen 10yr old Strebel/ATAG boilers, which are identical to the new ones and in good nick I would add :)

I'm still yet to come across an Atag, its even rare to see a VM TBH unless its one of mine!

I am an Intergas installer, fit practicably nothing else now :LOL:

the Intergas heat exchanger is very robust, the design is proven, think they are up to 700,000 boilers with this type of HX. very flexible in what you ask of it. i have installed the intergas as a combi,system boiler, open vented boiler & water heater...the best bit was it was all the same boiler model :D

viessmann 200w is not a bad boiler, have installed a few system boilers in a 4 pipe cofig. got plastic water carrying parts...would be my second choice after the intergas.

Atag...not my cup of tea.

My installer has quoted for a Keston 40 system boiler, but have read too many adverse comments on this site to accept that make....

Personally, if somebody recommended a really crap brand, I would not want to deal with that installer either. The size of the boiler also seems odd, unless you have an absolutely massive house with some 20 radiators.

I accept that the in the ideal circumstances, the system will end up properly cleaned; however given that if not, I won't know until something possibly goes faulty, does the Intergas heat exchanger offer a clearer path than the others,

Don't you think it is conducive to a good endresult to find an installer that will do the job as it should be done, rather than choosing a boiler that may be less sensitive to abuse?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back