Staining pine door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a four panel pine door From a salvage yard which has been dipped, and I would like to stain it a slightly darker colour. Not sure what to do as I've been given lots of different advice. Do I need to seal it before I do anything else? If so what with? I would like a matt finish. What products should I use.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Dipping usually destroys doors, removing all natural oil, you need to feed the door, Colorol now do a combine danish oil and wood dye or you can mix your own [oil dilutes colour quite a lot so you would have to make up enough to do entire door and test colour before using].Needs at least three coats but after first coat the colour should not change, a light oak or antique pine may suite but not a pine stain which usually results in an orange door. ;)

if it was wet dipped give it 4 to 6 weeks to dry out dependant on storage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back