wiring question when installinga 2 way dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

im looking for advice on how to change only one of the switches in my room to a dimmer. Its a 2 way switch at the moment but i want to replace only one of them with a dimmer but keep one as it is so i cn flick it on and off from there.

does it matter which of the switches i chose to switch?

ive got a standard single 2 way dimmer switch. The bit im confused about is the wiring as the colours going into the current switch doesnt match any diagrams iv seen.

main switch at the moment
L1 - black and blue (seperate wires)
L2 - red and yellow (seperate wires)
com- red

switch 2
L1 -blue
l2 - yellow
com - red (this is the one id like to change)

iIve tested them and all seem to be live. they all read 12v even when the power is off. Is that ok to still work with?

as you can no doubt tell.. im a bit clueless with eletrics but i like to try anyway :)

any helpor advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
good to know. thanks.

what about the wiring colours? do i just assume they are all live and move them over as normal?

Sponsored Links
They will all be live, it's a switch. Important that you mark the wire in the common terminal, the L1 and L2 can go either way around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back