Removing telephone extensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a look but can't find the answer elsewhere.
Our house has main BT socket plus 2 extensions. The extensions are not used as we have wireless phones so I'm looking to remove the extensions to tidy things up a bit.
From what I've read the wires on the removable half of main socket are for the extensions, so can I just take all of these out or are there some I should leave in? If so is it okay to tuck the wires back into the box?

Sponsored Links
If your wireless telephone base station plugs into the master socket then yes you can remove all the wiring from the rear of the detachable front plate.

What will you do for phones if there is a power cut and your wireless phones no longer work ? It would be sensible to have one extension into which your wireless phone base station is plugged and have a normal phone for use during power cuts whiuch can be plugged into the master when needed.

BT may ask you to plug a normal phone in if you report a line fault so they can verify where the fault is.

Cheers for that.
If there's a power cut and an emergency then that's when the mobile phones will be put to good use.

Cheers for that.
If there's a power cut and an emergency then that's when the mobile phones will be put to good use.

except people phoning you wont know that they will just get an engadged or ringing tone

Sponsored Links

Until the batteries in the mobile phone and /or the standby power at the cell tower runs out.

And of course if everyone is using mobiles then the system might become congested.

From all that a nukes been dropped, sod the phones and RUN!

PS dont do what the bloke who survived Hiroshima did, caught a train to Nagasaki!
DOH!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back