wall light switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i\\\'ve got 3 wall lights to put up which have their own on/off knobs. I want to turn them off via a wall mounted switch as well .can someone please tell me where to connectthe switch cable to :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Have a look in the for reference section. The most important thing you need to grasp is that your lights will need a live & a neutral but at light switches there's only live....

you should also consider the fact that if you do have a switch else where you will not be able to turn them on if the main swicth (the one you havent yet got) is off, since that would mean you want 2 way switching, and a 2 way switch in each light (knob you said)

as ban-all-sheds said, see for refernce

My guess is that 2-way switching is a very unlikely requirement, what he wants is wall lights all controlled by 1 switch by the door, and the fact that the lights have their own integral switches is an irrelevance, and they will never be used. Usual break into the lighting loop with a 4-way JB.

Sponsored Links
the reason i said as i did was this bit

samsp said:
I want to turn them off via a wall mounted switch as well
ok so i highlighted the last bit, but he still said it, not me, but then again, he never said on

thanks for replies.
just to update ,i have connected all wall lights up( each wall light feeding the next ) so they all operate off their individual switches ,but i still want to switch all of them on/off by a one way switch by the door. do i coonect switch cable to the first wall light, ? will that also control the others?sorry to sound vague :oops:

At the point where the cable going to the first wall light is joined onto the lighting circuit, you need to use a 4-way JB.

1: Permanent live in & out, red/brown core of the cable going to the switch.

2: Neutral in, out and wall light neutral wire.

3: Black/blue core of the cable going to the switch (sleeved red/brown) and the wall light live conductor.

4: All the earths.

Like this, but where it shows a ceiling rose, you'll have a wall light.

switch2.jpg

Note - this will not give you 2-way switching - if you turn a wall light off at its own switch, the wall switch will not turn it on, and if you've turned the wall switch off, you will not be able to turn any wall light on with its own switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back