Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all, this weekend's project is to install an inline extractor for the bathroom into my loft.

I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum (very useful it has been to) and I think I'm more or less ready.

I've come up with this diagram, can someone just confirm this looks ok ?

View media item 31458
The only bit I'm still a bit confused about is where to take a spur from the lighting ring to power this.

My current plan is to break the cable just before the pull cord switch for the bathroom light. Install a junction box (in the loft) so I can take a feed to the fused RCD, is this ok ?

Sponsored Links
If you want it with a run on timer then you would normally take the Live, Switched Live, Neutral, and Earth from the light fitting, through a 3-pole Fan Isolator Switch, to the fan.

The existing pull cord switch for the bathroom light is unlikely to have a Neutral present.

The Earth must be run to the fan even if it is double insulated.

Hi Owain,

If you want it with a run on timer then you would normally take the Live, Switched Live, Neutral, and Earth from the light fitting, through a 3-pole Fan Isolator Switch, to the fan.

I want a seperate pullcord for the fan as I don't want it just to come on when the lights are turned on.

The existing pull cord switch for the bathroom light is unlikely to have a Neutral present.

Ah, yes good point. Urm so where do I take the spur from in that case, this is the bit I'm not sure on.

The Earth must be run to the fan even if it is double insulated.

Ok will do.

Maybe worthwile installing some sort of indicator too, to say when the pullcord is switched off.

Sponsored Links
You take the L and N from the lighting circuit at a convenient ceiling rose, through a DP switch.

If you want the fan to run on, you could use a momentary pull switch between L and the timer sense contact (switched L), this would mean one pull of the switch and the fan runs for x minutes.

Instead of pull switch I used a ceiling pir , ensures fan runs whenever room is used.

I want a seperate pullcord for the fan as I don't want it just to come on when the lights are turned on
Might as well not bother at all then.
Fans with separate switches are never used. That is why they are usually connected to the light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back