HD Televisions..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a new telly, but what do I need to consider HD or HD ready when looking at the tvs? will the current definition be phased out like analogue for digital?

I am just interested in watching the transmissions (if there's anything worth watching that is!) not into playing games etc..

Sponsored Links
You need a HD signal, to watch appreciate HD unless you are watch something like Virgin, which upscales all signals.
Its like having a colour tv, & watching a b&w film...its b&w not colour

Sponsored Links
HD is the new b/w to colour transition, all new TV's will be HD. But a high quality CRT screen to me, is as good as HD. So wait a while, for prices to come down.

HD is the new b/w to colour transition, all new TV's will be HD. But a high quality CRT screen to me, is as good as HD. So wait a while, for prices to come down.

the leap forward may be there its less like the black and white to colour leap
its more like the person who really needs glasses and a hearing aid or needing his ears syringed having new glasses and his hearing sorted that sort off leap forward

I'm looking for a new telly, but what do I need to consider HD or HD ready when looking at the tvs? will the current definition be phased out like analogue for digital?

I am just interested in watching the transmissions (if there's anything worth watching that is!) not into playing games etc..
I very much doubt that SD will be phased out any time within the lifespan of any new TV you'll buy, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Analogue phase out was/is about making more channel space available sio that the Government can make more money from it. There's no such benefit with phasing out SD, so it's very unlikely to happen.

TV choices: HD Ready vs Full HD.

Will you see a difference? That depends on you watching a HD channel on a TV big enough (or you sitting close enough) to see the difference. The biggest factor though is the source itself, then the quality of the TV.

One of my customers has a 42" Pioneer HD-Ready plasma. His source is Sky HD. The box is set to play SD channels at SD resolution. Sitting 8-10 ft away from his screen the difference in detail between SD and HD is obvious.

I very much doubt that SD will be phased out any time within the lifespan of any new TV you'll buy, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Analogue phase out was/is about making more channel space available sio that the Government can make more money from it. There's no such benefit with phasing out SD, so it's very unlikely to happen.

TV choices: HD Ready vs Full HD.

Will you see a difference? That depends on you watching a HD channel on a TV big enough (or you sitting close enough) to see the difference. The biggest factor though is the source itself, then the quality of the TV.

One of my customers has a 42" Pioneer HD-Ready plasma. His source is Sky HD. The box is set to play SD channels at SD resolution. Sitting 8-10 ft away from his screen the difference in detail between SD and HD is obvious.

I've watched normal TV on a 32" CRT (non HD) at a reasonable distance, and 50" plasma,(with HD) and the 32" version wins every time.

Whilst I am a fan of CRT I am not blinkered by that fact.

32" CRT vs 50" flatscreen - hardly an apples and apples comparison. SD TV looks substantially worse the larger the screen size. Oof course a 32" CRT TV looks better. It's masking a lot of those SD limitations exactly because it's a smaller screen.

CRT doesn't have the resolution of HD Ready plasma let alone Full HD plasma, so whilst it is very forgiving or ropey SD sources - and I'm thinking specifically of Freeview - there's no way on earth it can display the resolution benefits of 720p, 1080i, or 1080p.

32" really is about the maximum practical screen size on CRT before the geometry errors and DC restoration become too much of an issue. Good setup helps alleviate some of those issues, and colour calibration does wonders for most sets, but it can't solve the limitation of under-spec'd power supplies in most consumer sets. Larger CRT screen sizes were available, but with very much worse geometry.

Plasma and LCD have their problems too of course, but geometry and DC restoration aren't issues for fixed pixel displays. The main issues for flatscreen displays centre around video scaling, motion handling and colour banding; some of which can be fixed or improved with outboard video processing.

To see CRT at it's best then projection is the answer. 8" and 9" tubed projectors still produce what is arguably the most engaging home cinema viewing experience of any display technology on the south side of £20K. The image from a good Barco 1209 running 1080p at 72Hz is almost a religious experience.

To see CRT at it's best then projection is the answer. 8" and 9" tubed projectors still produce what is arguably the most engaging home cinema viewing experience of any display technology on the south side of £20K. The image from a good Barco 1209 running 1080p at 72Hz is almost a religious experience.

That statement doesn't make sense? To see CRT at it it's best, use a projector?

Projectors only work in a low light scenario. Can't see a projection in daylight..and who watches TV solely at night?

It might be a good projector, but not good for overall use. A CRT, used for 100 years is. An LCD and Plasma have issues.

A CRT projector. If such a device is a mystery to you, may I recommend Google?

Google says..

CRT projectors are both considerably larger and heavier than comparable LCD and DLP projectors[5]
CRT projectors require far more time to set up and adjust than LCD and DLP based projectors
Absolute ANSI brightness achievable with CRT projectors is lower than with comparable LCD and DLP projectors.
Low-end or poorly tuned CRT projectors may suffer from color divergence

What is the point you are trying to make?

Google says..

CRT projectors are both considerably larger and heavier than comparable LCD and DLP projectors[5]
CRT projectors require far more time to set up and adjust than LCD and DLP based projectors
Absolute ANSI brightness achievable with CRT projectors is lower than with comparable LCD and DLP projectors.

Well done, you can copy and paste one small section of a Wikipedia article.

The point that I'm trying to make is that CRT projectors exist and his statement makes sense (assuming you share his opinion that CRT projectors are the best of the technology. Not being a projector fan I can't comment on that).

Google says..

Well done, you can copy and paste one small section of a Wikipedia article.
The point that I'm trying to make is that CRT projectors exist and his statement makes sense (assuming you share his opinion that CRT projectors are the best of the technology. Not being a projector fan I can't comment on that).

WHAT are you talking about? I HAVE NOT copied and pasted anything....so you are an idiot. Everyone knew that already anyway..

Projectors only work in a low light scenario. Can't see a projection in daylight..and who watches TV solely at night?

It might be a good projector, but not good for overall use. A CRT, used for 100 years is. An LCD and Plasma have issues.

[Sigh] ...if one of your measures of quality is absolute brightness then I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. Direct view CRT comes a very poor third against plasma (brighter) and LCD (brightest) displays. Those flat screens can be seen in progressively brighter environments where direct view TV would struggle.

My point on higher resolution CRT projection still stands. It combines the benefits of CRT technology (speed, pixel-less display) with the higher resolution of flat panel TVs. As a CRT advocate you should welcome this rather than fight it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back