Spot lights (alternatives to lowering the ceiling)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to put spot lights in my kitchen. I understand these need a certain amount of clearance, and normally an artificial ceiling is put up to house the spots. Problem is, I’m not to keen on lowering the ceiling.

Is there anyway of having spots without lowering the ceiling?

Could I have the existing ceiling, and house them in-between the joists of the room upstairs (it is a bedroom directly above). This will obviously limit where I can place the spots in the ceiling (because the joists will obstruct), but is it a possible alternative to lowering the ceiling?

Many thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
There should be plenty of clearance in the void without lowering the ceiling, and you'll have nice warm patches on the bedroom floor for yput tootsies.

What you won't have, though, is nice or effective lighting in the kitchen, as those lights are designed to not light up rooms. If what you mainly want is unobtrusive lights with nothing to trap dust & fumes etc, go for something like this:

They'll do a much better job.

Also, note that if you are adding lights in a kitchen you're supposed to apply for Building Regulations approval in advance.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. That's good to know.

When I say 'spots', I really mean any of the hallogen type lights that sit flush with the ceiling. What is the name of the type of the light in the photo? Would that be able to sit in the void between the joists?

Thanks again for your help!

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back