central heating insurance warning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took out breakdown insurance with EDF who also supply my gas and electric. On it it states 365day/24hour breakdown helpline,very clever words!

My boiler broke down on monday so i phoned them,i was told an engineer would contact me,he did on tuesday to tell me he would visit wednesday!!!!

He arrived in his own car with a limited toolbag checked the boiler then said he needed to order parts which would take 3 days. There is a glow worm stockist less than 1 mile from me.

He said he couldnt garantee that would fix the problem but it was a start.so ime waiting for him to contact me again to come and fit the parts.

Im stuck with EDF till october but believe me im off as soon as the contract is up.

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the world of insurance companies. :mrgreen:

Don't forget the small payment you make to have your boiler covered is only a minimal amount, peanuts and monkeys come to mind.

Andy

Unfortunately your service provider's business is to collect subscriptions. Plumbing & heating is just one of their unwelcomed overheads. The response you get will tend to reflect this.

Sponsored Links
No, but its a Glow Worm so you'll get your money's worth. ;)

Seriously, just put 15 quid a month in a jar marked ' boiler repair fund'. Insurance works on the assumption that your premiums will more than cover the cost of claims. Just self-insure. After a while, I bet you have a surplus, even after shelling out for a repair.

Its worth insuring the mechanical parts of a car against breakdown, because costs can run into thousands. Its not worth it with boilers, as the most expensive component in them won't be more than £200.

Insurance works. Simple as!

Yes, you had a bad experience but it doesn't mean they are all bad at all!

I work with homeserve and find customer satifaction to be circa 97% at the least.

Their is always people you can't please but we'd never send a guy out without the tools to do his job, his mode of transport isn't important though.

Of course insurance works. Insurance companies make millions, and have big shiney offices to prove it. That's because you pay more in premiums than you are ever likely to claim. It's the new money-maker, everone is getting in on it.

However, for Joe public its questionable wether it is worth it for a boiler, even a combi.

Also, some guy turning up in his Mondeo with a bag of tools doesn't inpire confidence.

Still, it keeps you in work, so I can't blame you for defending it.

I work with homeserve and find customer satifaction to be circa 97% at the least.

I presume that you are an independent subcontractor?

Whilst your clients may be 97% happy my impression is that across the country the satisfaction level with Homeserve is closer to 50%

I am pleased that engineer came in HIS car rathered than a stolen or borrowed one!

Saying they are waiting for spares is a common excuse for putting the job off intil another day ( or engineer ) as that enables them to meet their target visits a day.

One we read about here made client wait a WEEK for a filling loop available 20 min away!

Tony

But if we get an arsy customer dont we all make them wait for a simple part especially if its noce & cold :LOL:

Yes, you had a bad experience but it doesn't mean they are all bad at all!

That's funny. I find the DISsatisfaction rate under Homeserve customers about 97%.
Slow response, incompetent “engineers” and a penchant for diagnosing “beyond repair” are not exactly unheard of.

Homeserve pay the guys peanuts so not surprising to find a Bonobo with a toolbox knocking on the door.

lets be honest here guys, all or certainly most self employed boiler engineers dislike anything like homeserve or british gas as it removes another avenue of income and it is clear more people are on the uptake of boiler insurance or fixed price repair.

yes, i agree there are some guys who work for the larger franchise's who aren't exactly spot on, but get reeal boys and girls, we deal with more break downs in a week than most you see in a couple of months. its a numbers game, we can't please everyone but our guys do a darn good job to try.

during the heavy cold snaps, we had lads out from 7am till 1a.m dealing with job.

don't tell me you have a broad knowledge of homeserve's satisfaction levels when you only see the ones who have had bad experience. and EVERY engineer has had bad customers and has messed up job.....or their liers!

...yes, i agree there are some guys who work for the larger franchise's who aren't exactly spot on, but get reeal boys and girls, we deal with more break downs in a week than most you see in a couple of months. its a numbers game, we can't please everyone but our guys do a darn good job to try...

I found an ad from Homeserve last year looking for engineers in my area. The offer was £17k p/a ( yes, 17, not 27 ) pro rata on a subcontract basis with no guarantees.
Please don't tell me that you can expect quality guys for that. I called to see what it was for, and it was breakdown work on a call out basis with all the usual negative aspects and bar earning some money there were no perks. The guy from headoffice that I spoke to also confirmed they had zero employed labour.
With those conditions you can only expect clowns and monkeys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back