Rendering a timber bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in a timber framed and clad bungalow, which was externally rendered over the cladding some years ago before we bought it, TBH I don't think they did a great job though as much of it is crumbling. They seem to have used a very sandy mix, which might have been OK on brick, but on a timber building that obviously moves a bit it cracks and the water gets in, then frost finishes the job.

My son and I have patched it a few times over the past 8 years, but now the front wall which is most exposed to the weather is looking pretty sad again and I would like to do something more permanent. I like the rendered look and would like to stick with it, I don't want to go down the PVC cladding route as many of our neighbours have done, if I wanted to live in a Tupperware house I'd have bought one in the first place!

So what I want to know is, is there a render product that is flexible enough to withstand the constant expansion and contraction without cracking up, either one that I could do myself, or I'm prepared to get a professional in if it gets it done properly? There is wire mesh under the existing render so hopefully that wouldn't need to be done again, and the old stuff comes off quite easily.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Oh I see, yes that looks good, but with the spray application not something I could do myself I guess? Do you also have to use the foam sheet, or could the render be applied straight onto the existing mesh? The thickness of the foam might be a problem around the windows and door I think.

you re make your openings when using the foam and yes too the eml but id use new eml as for a light waight render id use k rend / weber and such like not sand and cement and as for the spraying on yes you can use it as trowel it on like plastering or you can hire a pft ritmo mono sprayer £100 per month ill post on your wall on here my number call me and ill pass you on too the guys that hire them out
you get full training on the day on site or i mite even be able too drop in and help you out if you want m8 ill put my number up on sunday

builders paper eml and s/c render
are you going over ply then m8

I have had a running argument with Wetherby for almost 2 years after their render applied by one of their approved contractors onto an ICF build got hairline cracks all over it. They said they would not give me a guarantee or help me in any way shape or form to rectify the problem. Do not go near them. They also say that I did not use an approved contractor which I can prove to the contrary and their local rep was incredibly abusive on the phone to me.

They do not care about small jobs mine was only around 300m2 and you will be lucky to get any help when things go wrong.

I have brought in Powerwall to try and rectify the problems left by wetherby and I am still considering taking a small claims against them.

lath and lime it

expands, contracts

breathes

looks sexy

strike in ashlar lines, make it look like faced stone

plus it wont have green algae growing on it in 3-5 years

plus it will probably be cheaper and stronger than eml or krend

Defo lath and lime it , it will keep the timber frame from rotting also.

plus if you take off the cladding and eml, you can uprate your insulation

:)

Not to mention the fact that it can then be limewashed and as we all know limewashed lime plaster is indeed sexier than me playing video games in my underrpants.

you cannot put krend or weber on eml i would put a render carrier board on then a coat of krend hpx then the krend top coat or try an acrylic top coat like marmorit conni with sm700 base coat on the board

you re make your openings when using the foam and yes too the eml but id use new eml as for a light waight render id use k rend / weber and such like not sand and cement and as for the spraying on yes you can use it as trowel it on like plastering or you can hire a pft ritmo mono sprayer £100 per month ill post on your wall on here my number call me and ill pass you on too the guys that hire them out
you get full training on the day on site or i mite even be able too drop in and help you out if you want m8 ill put my number up on sunday
they will not hire a machine to someone whose never used one and its about 250 a week to hire its about 100 a month to buy training is only provided when you buy one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back