Dishwasher Drain Motor Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I've got an Indesit DI61 UK dishwasher that's started to intermittently fail to drain. I've dis-assembled and checked the hose (including looping for an air-gap) and the pump to check it's clear. This all seems ok.

The only thing I'm wondering about is the drain motor - because there's a fair degree of what feels like 'magnetic' resistance on the impeller when I turn it (i.e. there's resistance and then it flicks/rotates 180 degs and then stops).

I'm no good at electrical stuff - so can you tell me if this sounds like a dodgy motor (is it supposed to turn freely?)

Thanks in advance for help.

Bob.[/code]

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't work if it turned freely, it works by a rapid series of those flicks. Is there a short piece of hose connecting the pump to a plastic chamber, which then connects to the longer hose? If so check that short length.

Thanks Sherlock.

So I guess you mean the motor resistance is ok?

There's no short hose - pump/motor is connected directly to base/drain of dishwasher and then exits via normal long hose to sink drain.

Thanks Sherlock.

So I guess you mean the motor resistance is ok?

There's no short hose - pump/motor is connected directly to base/drain of dishwasher and then exits via normal long hose to sink drain.

I wouldn't say trying to turn it by hand is a thorough test of a motor, but you would expect to meet resistance followed by a sudden flick. But then, you'd find the same on a motor with dodgy contacts. I don't see how turning the motor by hand could tell you anything.
If you can't find a blockage anywhere that's me out of ideas on a dishwasher not draining. With an intermittent fault I'd go straight from looking for blockage to calling service engineer myself, but tomorrow's a sunday so there may be plenty of folks mooching around to give better advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back