How to remove recessed light to find leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A quick query here, flat extension roof leaking when it rains, drips come out of light fitting (=where hole cut through plasterboard). (this one http://www.screwfix.com/prods/46524...ed-GU10-Polished-Chrome-Fire-Rated-Downlight# )

I have tried to remove the light to discover the exact location of the leak, but the 2 springs on either side seem to be firmly stuck in the horizontal position, so when I try to remove the light the springs get in the way and it cant fit through the hole.

What should I do? Are the springs meant to be moved if necessary? THanks

Sponsored Links
If it's been installed correctly the springs will bend vertically as you pull it out and snap back down when it's out. It might take a bit of force if it's the first time it's been removed.

If it resists all attempt to remove by pulling then this might help.

In a piece of plywood cut a hole larger than the lamp. Hold this against the ceiling and use a screw driver as a lever to ease the lamp out of the plaster.

Might need two people, one to hold the plywood and the other to lever at both sides of the lamp to bring it out of the plaster

Sponsored Links
Thats what I was thinking Flameport, if the board is soaking wet, it'll need replacing!

Ok, so I managed to remove the light by bending the springs up.

Unfortauntely, though, seems the leak is not from the flat roof directly above, but from somehwere else, and is running along the plasterboard.

I have left the light dangling out in the hope that the plasterboard may dry out a bit, aided by the ventilation of the air passing through the hole.

Thanks to all for your help.

Out of interest, if you didnt have those unnessecary (in this location) fire rated downlights, you might have been able to remove the springs from behind the fitting (probably loosing them as they fly off under tension, but the light would be free)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back