Shower pulsing - problem resolved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok i have posted this before but we are not getting any place so here goes again with more info as i have run out of ideas now.

We have a stuart Turner showermate water pump (dual)that runs to a Grohe 1000 shower regulator.

Recently we had pump problems and had to remove the pump and drain down all our water system.

Now that everything has been replaced the shower pump seems to switch on and off in 2 or 3 second bursts whilst in use.

I have removed and reinstalled the pump and also stripped down the shower and everything seems to be in order and also rung the tech help lines for both the pump and shower makers and still not solved.

Someone said we may have air in the pipework so i removed the regulator and ran both hot and cold water for ages with pump on to try to clear it but its still the same so either it did not clear the air problem or its something else.

With the regulator removed it runs fine and with the regulator replaced also fine so long as i dont have shower hose connected all is well.

I have replaced flow switches and motherboard to pump, shower head & hose to shower and cleaned out filters to shower and pump.

So come on folks any ideas at all why please before this drives me nuts.

Steve

Sponsored Links
is the pump neg or positive head and how far below the cold water tank is the shower head ? I reckon your problem might be a lack of flow to keep the flow switches on.

the system has been working fine for 4 years like this and the water flow is great with or without pump on.

I have checked the installation against pump manual info and its spot on with what they recommend.

up and over pipework ? also check that all the electrical connections are secure.

Sponsored Links
does it work if you attach the hose but not head? Try holding the hose at diff levels start with it as low a pos in the cubical or bath. Work your way higher see if this changes the flow? Also did you swap pump like for like? Could be sucking in air via the vent on the hot water dependent on how its connected up.

hmmm .......Steve from Lancs - loosing your hair -Not the landlord @ the Rovers Return are you ;)

Ok i have posted this before but we are not getting any place so here goes again with more info as i have run out of ideas now.

I have replaced flow switches and motherboard to pump, shower head & hose to shower and cleaned out filters to shower and pump.

Steve
have you checked the physical aspects of the pump - impellers etc. - seems like you`ve covered everything else :confused:

Barkie1
i think your onto something m8 as yes it works if i fix the hose on but not the head and yes the height i hold it at makes a differance so what do you think it could be fella and how do i put it right. Hot water is T off main HW from cylinder also fitted same pump back and also had it serviced plus with the shower bar removed the 2 outlets are shooting water out with pump going so i know its working ok.

Picasso

Yep up and over pipework and all sparky stuff secure. ??

Nige F

Lol in Gtr Manc actually and your watching too many soaps my friend you need to go get some diy done and stop watching girly stuff lol.
I have had everything in bits and know they are working right but its beyond me and my hair loss to know what to do next although i did sort the shower waste blockage out as it was all my hair blocking it up rofl

ok this may sound daft but if you have the shower head connected and low in the shower tray does the problem occour? if so check the shower head setting(usualy by turning the face of the head will give diferent spray patterns)

have you fitted air vents to the highest points on the outlet pipework.

Barkie 1

Nope changing the shower head pattern makes no differance at all but what we have noticed is that the shower works fine until the hot water comes through then the problem starts

picasso

I have checked the manual for the istallation and it makes no mention of any air vents at all

when you run the shower are you moving the temp valve all the way to hot past the safety stop. Same for the cold. See if this gives any improvement.

If we move it to either really hot or totally cold the problems goes away and yes you heading towards stat in the shower control bar but Grohe say not for some reason

well it is the valve which the manu think its not. Or have you thought of non return valve on the outlets as close to shower mixer as possible?

I have checked both non return valves on the shower bar and both seem to be working fine as they both move quite freely. My brain tells me its the stat but the tech helpline was really quite sure it was not the shower at all.

To me it can only be either air in the system or the stat but i cant shift any air that might be in the pipework and would welcome any tips for getting the air out you have or the stat and thats why i came on here cos i am totally at a loss what to do next

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back