Are Plumbers Still Installing Open Vent Systems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been asked by a customer to install a conventional open vented pumped system with heat only boiler. It's to replace a 2 year old Worcester combi.

He has recently bought the property, and is insistant that he wants the same system as his previous house.

Which got me wondering, is this an unusual request these days? Or is it still common for plumbers to install vented systems from scratch?

Sponsored Links
very unusual to do it from scratch these days. Would go with a sealed system normally, nothing wrong with vented hot water if the water pressure is poor

Not unusual in our neck of the woods even today, in spite of what is claimed for combi / sealed systems.

Open vented may not be the pucker up to date system type but it works is predictable and reliable in its performance, provided its designed and installed correctly.

I guess your prospective customer knows best.

i'll get my coat.....

Sponsored Links
I may be (& probably will be) slatted/corrected :rolleyes: but from what I can gather from an enlightened user’s viewpoint is that vented storage systems are predictable, less hassle, more easily & cheaply maintained & can be easily upgraded without the expense of Combi’s & pressurised systems which often drastically fail to live up to the expectations of a family household!

Maybe that’s why your customer wants to ditch his Combi ;)

I may be (& probably will be) slatted/corrected :rolleyes: but from what I can gather from an enlightened user’s viewpoint is that vented storage systems are predictable, less hassle, more easily & cheaply maintained & can be easily upgraded without the expense of Combi’s & pressurised systems which often drastically fail to live up to the expectations of a family household!

Maybe that’s why your customer wants to ditch his Combi ;)

There is a certain logic to what u say , some combis / can be installed with out filling loops / preesurizeing ect exp tank & a NRV will do !
Was up at Atmos the other day , installer for there parent company has installed several of there combis on open systems !!

I went for an open-vented Viessmann 100 Compact. I'm old-fashioned that way. Been very happy with it.

Yeah the last two installs were open vent, due to poor water pressure, customer choice etc etc.

Personally, in your scenario I would, if the water pressure is good enough, convince the customer of the benefits of mains hot water, and install an unvented cylinder, and a system boiler.

HTH

Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back