Laminate Flooring Joining Rooms Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to lay laminate flooring in my dining room that connects to the living room (which I am also laying laminate in). I see the manufacturer supplies a T molding to join the two rooms, but I hate the way that looks. It is raised about the rest of the flooring. Is there any way to join the room and keep them level without using the T molding? What happens if I use a piece of wood or a piece of laminate in the door way and butt both sides up to that piece? When it expands and contracts will I have problems with gaps there or is the important part to leave the gaps every where else around the walls? Would it be possible to glue the pieces to the piece in the doorway? Any ideas? IMO I just hate the way the T molding looks.

Sponsored Links
are you in america or britain ??
you must have expansion in door ways unless the laying instruction allow a length from wall to wall through the doorway typical max length without additional expansion around 4 metres 13ft

I am in America.

I'm assuming the T molding is considered an expansion? Sorry I'm quite new to laminate flooring. I've laid tile and Hardwood flooring a few times with success, but this application seems better suited for laminate due to cost and durability. I don't want to run in to a situation where it buckles on me, but I would prefer not to have the ugly T molding sticking above between the rooms. I haven't purchased the laminate flooring...therefore I'm not sure what the manufacturer recommends, but I've been looking at some mid range quality 8mm laminate. The total length from living room wall through the dining room wall would be about 20 feet (I don't have my actually measurements with me right now). Since it seems I do have to have an expansion is there a better option than a T molding?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

when i lay laminate you should leave 12mmgap all the way round undercutting door frames and removing skirting for best finish
i always say i will not be responsible for laminate installed other than in accordance with fitting instruction
i will how ever agree to fit fully by the installation instructions but leave out the expansion join in the doorway with the povision if the lack off expansion causes a problem it will be fixed at £50 a doorway 90% off the time i make no further money but we are talking less than 20ft

so if you have the tools to remove a 35mm strip through the doorway then lay in one peace without a join

the reason for 35mm is 12mm each side plus the t bar support[4mm] and 6mm to relax the humps in the floor lol

Sponsored Links
If I understand you correctly. You recommend installing with out the expansion and if it buckles on me go back in and add the T molding. That doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. Thanks for your time!

If I understand you correctly. You recommend installing with out the expansion and if it buckles on me go back in and add the T moulding. That doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. Thanks for your time!
yes exactly but make sure you leave the 12mm gap all the way round on instillation so if you have a problem and cut out the strip the wood can move on both sides towards the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back