SON lamps and time clocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Is there an issue with switching Son lamps with a time clock, I have 5 of them round a building which have stopped working, I assume its the time clock faulty but in a box above the fuse board there are another 2 (assuming faulty) time clocks, as if they have all at sometime or other been controlling these lights.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

John

Sponsored Links
In the past almost all of the SON street lamps were controlled by timeclocks in the lamp post base. Now its mostly photocells.

So timers are OK for SON lamps.

Don't assume the other clocks are old faulty ones. What have you done to test the circuit so far? Do you have/know how to use a multimeter? If not this job probably needs an electrician on site.

TTC, all due respect, but there ARE issues surrounding the use of sensitive electronic components to control high-inrush devices such as SON lighting. Hence for a reliable installation, a contactor is normally used, especially where the unit controls several lights.

And the timeclocks used in lighting columns were normally sangamo, which were bulletproof. But they cost more than a contactor and cheap timer ;)

cheers guys, it looks like what is happening is, when power is applied to the clock and it is switched manualy for a short period, ie to test, it works fine but when they are left on over night its as if the contacts of the time clock are being welded together. Its looking like a new clock and a contactor then, thanks Steve

Sponsored Links
Yep I always use a contactor for switching more than one SON fitting with a normal time switch.

As crafty says, sangamo clocks were built proper and have contacts which can cope with switching big inductive loads. The majority of clocks these days simply can't cope.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back