Where can I find this nut?

Roo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope somebody can help.

I'm not a plumber and have just attempted to fit a bath/shower mixer tap to my shiny new bath.

All went well until I decided to give everything a final nip up before I finished. :rolleyes:

This final nip up resulted in a small leak and dopey here nipped up a bit more and a bit more in an attempt to stop the leak.

I've now a cracked nut and can't find a replacement anywhere.

This is the tap in question and the nut is where the tap bolts on to what I can describe as the stands.
Below are some pictures of my mess.

I'd be grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction to finding a replacement.

P.S Just to add the nut seems to be a 3/4" the same as you would find on a flexible tap pipe.

Sponsored Links
Tap came as part of a bathroom package bought online over a year ago.

Yes it has taken me that long to fit it. :oops:

I can't remember where we bought it from and although I have found the tap online it doesn't seem to have a make?

Credit charge statements?

Or dont you keep them either?

Sponsored Links
I've just tried and it does seem the threads are the same as a back nut but all the back nuts I have found are quite slim compared to this, and do not have the lip this nut has to hold the tap to it's mounts.

Looks like I'll have to go through my bank statements as Agile suggested to see if I can find the company I bought it off. :confused:

A nut from a compression fitting may do the job. Get one from a chrome plated fitting, and you night not even notice the difference.

The nut from a radiator valve union coupling is another possibility.

• Thanks
Reactions: Roo
I can live with being fairly thick but I don't fully understand this one....does this cracked nut secure the water pipe in via an olive, and secure the tap in place too?
John :)

when you say it seems to be a 3/4". It will most likely be 1/2in BSP which measures 0.825in major diam with 14 threads per inch.

A 15mm x 3/4 tap con should have the nut you want also it will just come off the fitting rather than having to butcher a 22mm tap con to get it off,

• Thanks
I was trying to fathom out how it got cracked?
Was this by using a thin spanner on the front end of the nut? allowing the front to turn whilst the back end is up against its mating face.

I can live with being fairly thick but I don't fully understand this one....does this cracked nut secure the water pipe in via an olive, and secure the tap in place too?
John :)

Burnerman this nut is part of the tap design (ie not the back nut) and secures the tap to the mounting which can be seen in this picture.

I was trying to fathom out how it got cracked?
Was this by using a thin spanner on the front end of the nut? allowing the front to turn whilst the back end is up against its mating face.

The nut was tight Mandate.
I turned the water back on and all was working perfectly.
Then because I double check everything I double checked and caused a small leak.

I then nipped up a bit more and a bit more and a bit more each time causing a bigger leak.

It looks like the nut was as tight as it could go then I double checked and split it. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for all the advice, I have had a look in B&Q, FOCUS and got the usual unhelpfulness from my local Plumb centre but have yet to find a fitting then I can dismantle without butchering something.

Any suggestions?

My back up plan is butchering a flexible tap connector but at 7 quid a piece just for a nut, it is a last resort.

If the nut has a lip, as distinct from a taper as used in a compression fitting, then how about nut on a standard 3/4 inch end fed tap connector?

You will have to cut the fitting to remove nut but will only cost a pound or two gepending where you buy it.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back