45 degree rule from patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if generally the 45 degree rule for an extension applies from neighbouring patio doors? I understand some councils use it as a guideline from the centre of a window sill but do patio doors count?

Sponsored Links
Regarding the 45 degree rule, some councils use it some don't, some have their own take on it.

My take is that it would count, it could be the only means of getting light into a room.

Thanks for your input.
Let's say there is a patio door and a window serving light in to a kitchen diner. As the kitchen diner is in theory one room then light is served via the kitchen window. If the patio door, which is north facing, has a small amount of shadow (talking cm2 not m2) from a one storey extension (conservatory) for approx 2-3 hours of daylight on mornings, will the patio door likely be taken in to account?

If the extension is a conservatory, then the rule is assessed slightly differently to take account of all the glass

You need to see your specific councils policy on how they implement the rule

Sponsored Links
I tried to look through the local policy and the 45 degree rule is not explicitly documented - I saw some reference to a (vertical) 25 degree rule for a neighbouring council policy.

The conservatory will actually have brick to the eaves on the side but complete glass front and roof - all dimensions are within "permitted development" but there is an article 4 directive on my property hence the application. There is an existing boundary fence of 1.88m and the eaves will be about 2.2m (0.4m higher) so it will not be overbearing in my opinion. It will pass the vertical 45 degree "test" but not the horizontal from the patio doors - all windows will pass both tests fine.

I am just wondering how planners would look at that aspect of such a build? Is it pot luck which type of planner you get?

You need to find out if your council applies the 45 degree rule or not. If they don't mention it in policy then they should not be able to use it.

Does anyone know if generally the 45 degree rule for an extension applies from neighbouring patio doors?

If the doors are that to a habitable room or a kitchen that is deeper than 2m, then yes.

I tried to look through the local policy and the 45 degree rule is not explicitly documented - I saw some reference to a (vertical) 25 degree rule for a neighbouring council policy.

What is the LPA? If you have found the information about the 25 degree rule, which normally applies to new dwellings then the 45 degree rule is usually mentioned after that, for existing dwellings. Remember the 45 degree rule only comes into force if you're proposing a two-storey extension. And if the LPA have such guidance.

all dimensions are within "permitted development" but there is an article 4 directive on my property hence the application.

If you have an Article 4 Directive, which removed PD rights, then why are you keeping the proposals within PD guidelines (i.e. the dimensions)?

Is it pot luck which type of planner you get?

Not just a planner, but the planning department in general. You can never predict the outcome. If it's available, I'm sure you could go in for pre-application advice. Depends the process involved (i.e. application form, fee, time delay).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back