Cavity closer with/out DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently built a cavity wall as part of a shed/office wall (no building regs). It has 4" dense block outer and 4" aircrete block inner and I closed the top of the cavity at the eaves with blocks on their sides. They rest on the outer leaf and butt the side of the inner leaf.
I forgot to put the DPC in initially and therefore theoretically have a path for moisture to cross. The wall will however be rendered and painted and this section of the wall will have a fascia to protect it.
I reckon it should be ok as is, after all old 9" solid brick walls aren't perpetually damp on the inside - or am I missing something.
I could cut a slot in the capping blocks then fill it with silicon, but not sure there's much point.
Anybody got any comments or advice ?

Sponsored Links
At the top of the wall you're probably be OK (above the eaves?) More of a concern will be the massive cold bridge. Its possible you'll get a bit of mold in this location at some point.

thanks FMT. yes it is at eaves level.
i did think about the cold bridge but the closing blocks are aircrete and butt against aircrete blocks so not tooo bad. i might even dry line the walls for a bit off added thermal efficiency - or perhaps that will be for the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back