Leaking front uPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Had a new front door put in 2yrs ago.

Generally fine, but when came to take the carpet up in the porch, looks like we've had water coming in from the aluminium strip that is directly below the door.

Please see the pics below which should help.

Pic from distance inside. there is a gap below where the black strip is. The white uPVC to left and right is to the floor.

Holes have been drilled in the aluminium strip for drainage downwards and also forward (these as fitted - I've not messed)

This pic is from the front.

I'd expect the front to be sealed along with silicone sealant to stop water getting in from outside.

The drainage holes in pic #2 seem to make sense if water gets in - but either the front or bottom holes drain into the gap under the black strip inside the porch.

Should it be the black seal that the front door fits against be tight to stop water getting into the aluminium strip in pic #2 ?

I'm not an expert in uPVC doors - can anyone advise if this door has not been correctly fitted or offer any other advice ?

TIA

Sponsored Links
To have drainage holes is normal, but i would imagine the holes facing downwards are noe for drainage but for fixing the ali threshold down, infact isn't that one hole countersunk already?

Yes the door should rub over the rubber flap, that would stop most if not all water coming in and sitting in the threshold and also stop the wind howling in, is it doing that, is the door high in the frame?

Hard to tell from the third pic but is that a drainage hole i see above the silicone OR have they sealed across the hole/s?

To have drainage holes is normal, but i would imagine the holes facing downwards are noe for drainage but for fixing the ali threshold down, infact isn't that one hole countersunk already?

Thanks for a promt reply.
Yes, it is countersunk. Tho if you screwed through, there would be a gap to the floor. From pic #2, the thick black strip visible is actually 5-10mm off the floor.

Yes the door should rub over the rubber flap, that would stop most if not all water coming in and sitting in the threshold and also stop the wind howling in, is it doing that, is the door high in the frame?

The door is snug in the frame, there's no wind blowing in. I think that bit's ok.

Hard to tell from the third pic but is that a drainage hole i see above the silicone OR have they sealed across the hole/s?
The holes have been drilled after the sealant. The path is clear right through. I hadn't noticed the drainage hole on the front :idea:

Does anyone know what the cross section of the 'grooved' silver part is in pic #3?
I'm not sure if water coming in drops straight down or will find its way to the drainage hole on the front.

Ideally the ali threshold should sit on the floor otherwise it will bounce if stood on, now you'll have to place some packing under it and fix down.

Personally i would squirt clear silicone into each hole and just push a small screw in to give it the effect of being screwed down AND too stop water getting through and under the threshold, then i'd foam the gap under it

Sponsored Links
Ideally the ali threshold should sit on the floor otherwise it will bounce if stood on, now you'll have to place some packing under it and fix down.

Personally i would squirt clear silicone into each hole and just push a small screw in to give it the effect of being screwed down AND too stop water getting through and under the threshold, then i'd foam the gap under it

When you pointed out about the countersink, I thought the same. They must have drilled them ready to sit on the floor and maybe didn't quite fit so put the spacer in on left & right (from pic #1) and lifted it.

Completely with you on the poss solution.
The other angle is getting the fitters back to assess. It was a local company. They did the windows too and did a good job. This has been the only issue to come up. There were zero snags after fitting.

Do you know if it's easy for these aluminium strips to be removed and new ones replaced?

The ali threshold will be screwed upwards into various screw bite points within the hollow pvc chamber so now the door fitted is virtually impossible to remove.

Now that you've said its a recent install then i would get the guys back, saves you voiding the guarantee too ;) , if they're as good as you say they shouldn't hesitate to come back, guess they'll only do what i suggest but best get them to do it.

The ali threshold will be screwed upwards into various screw bite points within the hollow pvc chamber so now the door fitted is virtually impossible to remove.

suspected it might be something like that.

Now that you've said its a recent install then i would get the guys back, saves you voiding the guarantee too ;) , if they're as good as you say they shouldn't hesitate to come back, guess they'll only do what i suggest but best get them to do it.

A good point on the guarantee!
I'll give them a call and see how I go.
Will post an update when it's resolved.

Cheers crank - much appreciated - you've been a great help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back