bt drop line joint/extend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have extended my bt line into the lounge where my landline+sky broadband modem will be sited..the cable is 2 core white/orange a/b at origional master skt in kitchen...to reactivate my bt line before i move into the property i need to connect the joint + refit a new master skt( also sky wont do my housemove installation until this is done!) can anyone tell me the correct method i should use to carry out this termination & any particular terminals/crimps/connectors to use...i am aware there is voltage present down the line...and finally it is a 2 wire supply orange & white cores which were connected to a & b on the old master skt...but i want a bran new master skt in the lounge..but i know i need to get the right type! anyone tell me what type this is likely to be on the info given cheers again :)

Sponsored Links
cheers drgl :D have just bought the nte5(a) and the adsl plate for landline and broadband connections...+ a new pro krone tool,is there any order i should terminate these 2 ? obviously the nte5(a) i will use at the point of my extend/joint ? and then the adsl plate in the lounge for phone/broadband wireless router! are the connections the same at the adsl...white/orange into a & b ? + when i have terminated it all will my bt line be automatically active ? as the house has been unnocupied for 7 months without any contact from bt either way..obviously at the same time im trying to hide the fact that ive done a joint on the bt drop line extending it! :eek: + if i do have to reactivate the line i dont know how i will go on as im currently getting line rental/broadband through sky... and i have to inform them 2 weeks before i move to arrange my sky homemover service..but as i say they will only install my new dish sky+hd box if the bt line is active! advice plz cheers again :)

Hi George. The ADSL faceplate & NTE5 go where you want the router to go, sorry I thought you had already extended the cable to that point. If there is an existing NTE5 then just use that as a junction box, ie, the incoming BT cable will be terminated to A & B, terminate your new cable to 2 & 5 on the existing NTE5 then terminate those two wires to A & B on the new NTE5. Then simply fit the ADSL faceplate to the new NTE5. If you have no means of joining the two cables together BT would usually use a BT80A:-http://www.bttorj45.com/bt80a.html

The line isn't active until your provider has set the line, you usually find you get dial tone but can not dial out, once the line is active you can then have broadband activated on it. By memory when I last did this the broadband order took longer than simply getting the voice side active but that was a house move where I took the number with me. That was everything through BT!

Sponsored Links
and to the OP- no, it doesn't matter which way around A & B go...

If you have a meter to hand, A is positive and B is negative . A goes to 5 & B goes to 2 if changing from an old style socket.

yeah drgl the old master skt is in the service cupboard and the extended cable where ive relocated the phone/router to is in the lounge..are you saying then to fit the new nte5(a) master skt onto the 25mm backbox(flush) and then the adsl plate fits onto this/over the top etc ? + im a bit lost to when you say"if you have no means of joining the 2 cables together bt would usually use a bt80a etc etc + instead of using the old nte5 master skt as the joint in the cupboard..can i just buy another nte5(a) and use that as my joint so as not to re-use tatty gear ? cheers again :D

are you saying then to fit the new nte5(a) master skt onto the 25mm backbox(flush) and then the adsl plate fits onto this/over the top etc ? + im a bit lost to when you say"if you have no means of joining the 2 cables together bt would usually use a bt80a etc etc + instead of using the old nte5 master skt as the joint in the cupboard..can i just buy another nte5(a) and use that as my joint so as not to re-use tatty gear ? cheers again :D
Yes, fit the new NTE5 at the end of the new cable, the ADSL faceplate replaces the lower front half. Will you be plugging any devices into the old NTE5 in the cupboard? That dictates what you do really.

I would strongly advise you to leave the BT NTE5 in place and wire from its front plate to the new NTE 5.

The reason to keep the BT NTE 5 is place is that if there is line fault outside the house BT may ask you to plug a phone into the back of their NTE 5 to assist in fault finding on the cable from exchange to your house.

If there is no NTE 5 at the end of the drop cable then you cannot do that. Plugging the phone into your new NTE 5 will include some of your internal wiring in the tests BT carry out. If that test finds a fault then BT will be looking at their cable for a fault in their cable as they will assume the phone was at the end of their cable and did not include internal DIY wiring.

If the fault was in your internal wiring between where the drop cable ends and the new NTE 5 then BT will be at best un-happy and bill you for the work they did looking for a fault that was not on their cable. Or they may be very annoyed and revoke your contract for telephone service because you had tampered with their equipment ( the back half of their NTE 5 and the drop cable.

bernard are you saying reconnect the old bt dropline to the old nte5 but dont connect the extended internal wiring for the new relocated master skt/adsl filter..or at least until bt have reactivated the line ? i had to disconnect it in the 1st place to reroute the bt dropline and at present the ends are just split/taped up! + as i get line rental through sky i am not sure how i go on to reactivate the line + sky are doing the sky homemover installation cheers again drgl/bernard & co

Put the Nte5 back, as it was.
Leave all your other work in place. Then let BT make the connections and if it goes wrong they pay for it.

I have just moved and have nothing ATM. But in situ is where I want things and how it has been run. Holes drilled where I want them. Cables hidden.

Mr BT comes in with drop line to my point of entry as ducting is there if he uses the floor and entry from pole if they use that.

BT/Openreach do not need to enter the premises to activate a line so all they will do is sort the exchange end and say job done. The reality is if you reconnect the old NTE5 this will be correct. As i said all you need to do is reconnect the old NTE5 and wire the new one off that OR fit a BT junction box. The site i linked to sells a BT branded box (80B RF3), if you used that know one would ever know you have extended the drop wire yourself. Did you use the correct cable to extend it (CW1308)? People on internet forums seem to worry about BT engineers noticing end users have fitted their own NTE5, the reality is they really do not mind, certainly none i have come across do anyway. & no, is ISN'T illegal! (& if you call BT and get through to India they will say you can fit your own decorative master socket!!)

People on internet forums seem to worry about BT engineers noticing end users have fitted their own NTE5, the reality is they really do not mind,

To an extent that is true when the "rogue" NTE 5 is of good quality and the drop wire is not re-routed.

However if a "rogue" NTE 5 is fitted and there is any problem as a result of the quality of that NTE 5 then you can expect at least having to pay the full cost of the repairs and the supply and fitting of the correct NTE 5. You may be required to return the previously fitted terminal block to BT, or pay for it as it is the property of BT and you have lost it.

The NTE 5 forms part of the advanced line testing procedure. The resistor and bell capacitor are used to measure some of the line parameters

. & no, is ISN'T illegal! (& if you call BT and get through to India they will say you can fit your own decorative master socket!!)

It is not illegal but it is a breach of the contract with BT for the supply of telephone service. You will not be in court but you may be without telephone service. If your tampering with BT owned equipment causes BT to suffer loss then you may be required to re-imburse all costs incurred by BT.

The advice about fitting a decorative master socket was and probably still is to wire the A and B terminal of the decorative master socket to terminals 2 and 5 on the removable front plate of the existing BT NTE 5.

Scaremongering. The advice was you can REPLACE the NTE5, what point would there be in having a white NTE5 & a nice chrome BT socket next to it? I made sure they understood what I meant. The site I linked to sells the exact same NTE5 & NTE2000 that BT get, same manufacturer (Pressac). I work with BTO people day in day out, all they are interested in doing is getting the job done, at times they have left us with bare lines on a terminal strip leaving US to install non branded NTE5's! The CPE is the least of their worries when the network is in such a mess. (their words not mine).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back