bt drop line joint/extend

Scaremongering. The advice was you can REPLACE the NTE5, what point would there be in having a white NTE5 & a nice chrome BT socket next to it?

Informing the DIYer of the the terms of the legally binding contract that he or she has signed with the telephone service provider is not scaremongering.

I remain doubtful that the advice was that you can replace the entire NTE 5.

The site I linked to sells the exact same NTE5 & NTE2000 that BT get, same manufacturer (Pressac).

From that website
BT NTE5 Master Socket, manufactured by Pressac UK who supply BT.
NTE5 BT Type Master Socket (NTE5A)
Please note, we supply the latest version of the NTE5(A) that features the filter on the bell wire circuit for IMPROVED ADSL PERFORMANCE! NOT all versions of the NTE5 currently available feature the bell wire filter! Note the presence of the moulding does NOT guarantee your socket has the inductor!

All of which imply the socket is the "same" as the BT sockets they manufacture but does not say it is 100% the same. The image does not appear to have the BT logo on it. Some suppliers who manufacture the "same" item to more than one branded name companies may have different build and quality standards for the different brands. Note the variation about the inductor that may or may not be fitted depending on brand even though the moulding may imply it is fitted

It is very probable that Openreach engineers will recognise that and other manufacturers as being acceptable quality and turn a blind eye to any competent DIY tampering with the BT cable. But there are some poor quality NTE 5 look alikes, even with the BT logo forged, which are prone to failure due to sub-standard components and assembly methods.

at times they have left us with bare lines on a terminal strip leaving US to install non branded NTE5's!

Same here, but in commercial premises where the NTE was the terminal strip where the incoming multi-pair ( 25 or more ) cable was terminated.

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest you call BT India and ask them-see what reply you get! The point is that is what they said. The website also says "BT NTE5 Master Socket, manufactured by Pressac UK who supply BT.". If that isn't true then there is a legal issue-why don't you email them to clarify?

It is true that the company A can manufacture items which they supply company B and therefore that statement can be made. It does not mean the look alike items they manufacture and supply to company C are exactly the same as those they supply to company B and /or sell direct to the public.

The type and quality of plating of the contacts can vary between variations of the same socket depending on whether the plug is intended to be removed frequently or seldom removed.

The socket is IDENTICAL bar the Openreach logo. Same production line, both made in Nottingham. I happen to know this as I have been on a training course at their HQ there. If you want to doubt me email Bob Smith at Pressac.

Sponsored Links
I will accept what you say which would mean there would be no serious technical problems with a DIY change of NTE 5 like for like other than the logo when done by a competent person.

But other alterations to the wiring involving the drop wire when done by a less than competent DIYer could create technical problems and possibly hazards for the telecoms network. That is why I find it difficult to accept that the call centre gave verbal information that the NTE 5 could be changed by the customer.

Like I said-call them! See what answer you get. I asked THREE times as I am well aware of the rules re: demarcation points.

I'll drop out of this thread now as I'm really not interested in arguing over something so futile.

yeah drgl i intend to use the old nte5 master skt as a means of a joint then rather than the bt joint box you mention..take it this will be ok ? or if not i will purchase 1 from the same link/shop you gave me for the nte5 & adsl..should i still complete the connections at the extended new master skt/adsl position ? & connect the extended wiring at the old nte5 position to terminals 2 & 5 as you say..before bt reconnect the line or after...+ yeah the cable i used to extend is cw1308 proper bt exterior drop cable & finally will the new nte5/adsl skt in the lounge work as the master skt as important for my broadband connection.. as if i use terminals 2 & 5 at the old nte5 for the extended cable isnt that a slave skt connections ? cheers again ill get there in the end albeit the long way around :)

yeah drgl i intend to use the old nte5 master skt as a means of a joint

Sensible

cw1308 proper bt exterior drop cable

Internal wiring cable

Connect one pair of your CW1308 cable to terminals 2 and 5 on the front removable part of the existing BT NTE5.

At your new NTE 5 connect this pair to terminals A and B on the rear part of your new NTE 5. If you have purchased a filtered front plate for this NTE 5 you can connect your phone wiring to the filtered "phone" connections on this front plate ( one pair to 2 and 5 with a second pair to 3 and 4 ) and your modem to the ADSL socket on the filtered front plate.

Micro filters will not be needed at the phone sockets. Using wire 3 for the bells will not affect the ADSL signa; as the filtered front plate separates the ADSL and phone signals.

as if i use terminals 2 & 5 at the old nte5 for the extended cable isnt that a slave skt connections ? cheers again ill get there in the end albeit the long way around :)

No it is not a slave socket connection. A slave socket ( in the original design before broadband was forced fitted to the phone system ) is defined as a socket that uses the capacitor in the master socket to provide the bell circuit via wire 3

right ok bernard i will connect it all up as that cheers...yes i have bought a front filtered adsl plate for phone/broadband so will connect a pair to/from 2 & 5 and a pair to/from 3 & 4...do i js ;link these from the rear part of the new nte5 ? finally when i terminate the old nte5 at the joint position in service cupboard..it is 2 long at moment needs a half metre or so shortening! but as the bt drop line has 50volts down it how do i correctly shorten/re-terminate this cable without creating a fault/blowing something on the bt side,and finally how long will it take sky or bt to reconect my bt line once i ask them(currently have line rental through sky so unsure who to contact how i go on etc)..cheers again for valuable advice :)

You don't need 3 & 4 at all unless you are running new extensions off the NEW FILTERED faceplate (& 4 is NEVER used in a domestic environment anyway).

Wire as follows:-

BT incoming cable-connect to A + B on OLD NTE5

YOUR CW1308 CABLE-connect blue pair to 5 & 2 on front lower plate of OLD NTE5

Other end of YOUR CW1308 cable-connect to A + B on NEW NTE5

Replace lower front of NEW NTE5 with new ADSL FACEPLATE

THERE IS NO WIRING TO GO ON THE BACK OF NEW ADSL FACEPLATE UNLESS YOU ARE WIRING MORE EXTENSIONS IN THE HOUSE? IF YOU ARE THEN WIRE TO 2, 3 & 5 ON ADSL FACEPLATE, ANY EXTENSIONS OFF THERE WILL NOT WORK WITH ADSL BUT WILL NOT NEED PLUG IN FILTERS.

END.

THERE IS NO EXTENSIONS TO BE CONNECTED IN AS YET(oops js used capitals) js want to get my phone and b/b up and running for now imperative tbh so will connect as stated and ask them sky/bt to reactivate my line touchwood no probs works fine + getaway with rerouting the bt dropline! :eek: the extensions i will cross that task later...as i have a few daisy chained from the adsl master new skt position! :) cheers again guys

the extensions i will cross that task later...as i have a few daisy chained from the adsl master new skt position! :) cheers again guys

As above, connect these to 2, 3 & 5 on the ADSL faceplate, those extensions will NOT require plug in filters & will no longer affect BB performance. If you got the 6 way faceplate the IDC block will be BLUE and will have two extra connections-A & B. If you ever want to run an ADSL extension connect to A & B on the FACEPLATE.

:D ok guys all sorted now so it seems i will connect as you say and leave the rest to sky...i am going to ask them when they come to do the house move/install to set up my wireless router! as i have bought a laptop & wish to go wireless around the house take it this shouldnt be a problem :)

it should be noted that it is illegal to tamper with the master from which the bt drop wire enters the property.
Every person at BT should know this and should never suggest you make any alterations yourself.

the idea of running one master NTE5 to another NTE5 does mean that you would still need to use the original NTE5 for testing broadband in case of any problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back