Storage heaters not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm really sorry if someone has answered this before but I can't seem to find a topic which exactly matches my problem so not sure if any of the responses I've read apply to me.

I moved into my new place 6 months ago and over the winter have had a few problems with my storage heaters (I have 2 - 1 in the living room and 1 in bedroom). The upstairs one hasn't been a problem until now but the downstairs has stopped working twice before now. First time, I found a reset button under the cover and the next day it worked, second time the circuit breaker had switched itself off so I turned it back on and it worked again the next day.

This time around both storage heaters have stopped working at the same time and, i'm not sure if it is a coincidence or not but, my overnight hot water system doesn't seem to be working. I've been heating my water using the boost button to heat water during the day when I have a shower, etc but it's not heating the water overnight like it should be. The off-peak switch for my hot water boiler has a red light that usually comes on around 11pm but it hasn't been coming on at all since the storage heaters stopped working.

Could the 2 problems be connected? Could it be something to do with my electricity meter, i.e. the off-peak timer not working? I have a meter in my outside cupboard with 2 digital readings (one off-peak and one peak). If it is my meter, how can I fix it? Do I need to contact my supplier?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm stuck for ideas at the moment.

Thank you! :)

By the way, my water tank looks like this (in case it helps)

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2917/cimg1614gf8.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the problems you've been putting off by pressing reset buttons and resetting breakers have come to a head and you need someone with test equipment on site.

It sounds like something has killed off the entire off peak supply but i'm having trouble thinking of what could do that on a typical setup.

Please post pictures of the areas arround the meter and consumer units.

Thanks for the quick response, I'm at work at the moment but will be home later so will definitely post some pictures asap.

Sponsored Links
firstly, is it a pulsacoil boiler? secondly are your storage heaters dimplex or creda

It sounds like something has killed off the entire off peak supply but i'm having trouble thinking of what could do that on a typical setup.

Overheating fault - insulation breakdown - may have tripped the RCD on the off-peak CU.

firstly, is it a pulsacoil boiler? secondly are your storage heaters dimplex or creda

Pulsacoil boiler - I don't actually know, I'll check when I get home this evening.

Storage heaters - both are dimplex

The off-peak switch for my hot water boiler has a red light that usually comes on around 11pm but it hasn't been coming on at all since the storage heaters stopped working.

The clue is here, yes contact your supplier as it could be a faulty meter if all 3 offpeak devices have packed in

It's likely to be tripping on overheat, yes. if the the reset button is clearly visible then u probably have an "unconverted" model. new T1 thermostat required.

I've also taken a note of the meter readings this evening (as suggested by someone in another topic). If the off-peak figure hasn't changed by tomorrow, would that confirm that it is more likely a problem with the meter?

If the offpeak reading doesn't change, that just means the heaters were not on.
Could be a faulty meter, or just as likely blown fuses, the heaters were switched off, the heaters are broken, the consumer unit for the heaters is switched off, the timer is set to the wrong time, and so on.

If the offpeak reading doesn't change, that just means the heaters were not on.
Could be a faulty meter, or just as likely blown fuses, the heaters were switched off, the heaters are broken, the consumer unit for the heaters is switched off, the timer is set to the wrong time, and so on.

I see your point, I hadn't thought of any of that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back