crabtree screwed plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Soon I plan to be running some (relatively long term so anything mains needs to be properly waterproofed) experiments on a site where I belive (going on relatively vauge descriptions, haven't managed to get photos yet) they are using the old style crabtree weatherseal 13A sockets. The style with a hard plastic cover that seals when not in use but does not seal when a normal 13A plug is in use.

Now I know crabtree made a "screwed plug" for these that would seal against the socket. However the latest crabtree catalogue from electriums site doesn't mention it and the one before that also on electriums site mentions it but doesn't have a listing for it so I'm getting the impression it's been discontinued. Google turns up nothing useful on either the part number or the name of the device. I've tried contacting crabtree through the electrium website but not got any response.

Does anyone know of a source for these plugs?

Sponsored Links
I think I know what you have in mind, I've only ever seen that type of screwed on plug arrangement by Clipsal. Maybe you got the makes mixed up? Googling 'Clipsal 56 series' will bring up a world of suppliers. Whether they'd fit whatever crabtree used to make I don't know.

clipsal-56-series-ip66-13a-plug.jpg

^
That what you were thinking of?

I've seen sockets in this style with both brands on though I think i've only ever seen a screwed plug in a crabtree one (and it was many years ago). These could well clipsal (all I have to go on right now is vauge descriptions, i'm trying to get a photo). Ithought crabtree was the more likely brand for some reason.

The sockets from the two brands look basically identical (the sockets are still in the crabtree catalogue...) and the plugs look pretty similar too (the crabtree one is orange and I think the back is a slightly different shape though camera angles make it hard to be sure but the key features look the same, saying that clipsal list a "resistant orange" plug in their catalogue as well as the regular grey model). I wonder if the clipsal and crabtree ones are compatible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back