Dot and Dab cement board (hardie)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fixing hardi-board to brick walls and am going for the DnD with through fixings method.

What do I use to DnD though?
- standard board adhesive (Gyproc dri-wall)
- rapid set tile adhesive
- something else?

Sponsored Links
Just done my 1st 'go' at this, Attached Sounsdhield board to a bedroom wall (down to brick).
Hard wire brushed the wall 1st, then PVA'a and left for a day or so to dry.

Used The Gtec Plasterboard adhesive, applied all round the perimeter of the board (for fire regs I think), then used a trowel to 'flick' the adhesive onto the board appporx 12" apart, maiking sure it's still quite thick on.

Placed board to wall, placed a bit of floorboard to hold off floor, then give a good whack with a length of 3x2" wood to get it to the wall better (use the flat part, a good whack doesn't hurt it). Then made sure level with spirit level.

Leant some timber to hold it to the wall and job done. :)

Learnt this off this site so thanks peeps, just putting the info back in.

First wall is on...

How long should I leave the adhesive to dry before drilling the holes for the through fixings?

Sponsored Links
couple of hours mate just make sure its gone hard first though other wise youll pull the board out of straight and true

Cheers, I've stuck an off cut to the wall downstairs as my test piece so I should know when it's hard.

I'll leave it until 4.

ive tried sticking hardiebacker board on with dry wall adhesive, it failed with any vibration or knocks. have you tried patching a boarded wall into it? it crazes like hell, and with a tap of a hammer, shells off. maybe it was a one off? the only thing i could suggest is to green the back of the board or drill and plug it.

silicone the joints and scrim them before tiling also

The Dot and Dabs are only there to level the boards and hold them there long enough to through fix them.

I've DnD'd the whole room now, and through fixed at ~250mm centres with 80mm through fixings - a total of ~200 fixings and about a day and a half hammer drilling!

I only had 1 dab fail and the board ping out from the wall (it was slightly warped), but that was fixed with the through fixing.

All the joints were skimmed with tile adhesive, taped with fiber glass tape then skimmed again with tile adhesive. This was the technique described in the hardibacker install manual.

Some quick pics of the room in it's current state. Next job is to build the boxing for the soil pipe and at the end of the bath.

156000_155425_32679_77692019_thumb.jpg

156000_155425_32677_48500840_thumb.jpg

156000_155425_32680_10086677_thumb.jpg

156000_155425_32678_51131645_thumb.jpg

It's easier to make out the through fixings in the last pic. Each 1200x800 board had 5x3 fixings in it

Looking good LP; avoid (as far as possible) the tile grout lines coinciding with the board joints when you come to tile. ;)

Not sure if I've said it to you before but make sure you use quality trade tiling materials suitable for the tiles not cheapo DIY crap.

I'll do my best with the tile lines, using 300x600 tiles should reduce the number of grout lines anyway!

80Kg of BAL SPF is sitting downstairs :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back