Mould on roof timbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
When I moved into my home about 6 months ago there was small amounts of white mould on the rafters in my loft, just running alongside the underside of the felt. Over the winter this has appeared to get worse.
Picture below hopefully

The mould appears to be very superficial and is only on the surface and can be brushed off fairly easily.

I have inspected the loft and it seems that insulation has been forced very far down between the rafters (we have a large loft conversion so the loft space is quite small with a long distance down to the eaves).

Could this be a ventilation problem? Could I reduce the mositure content of the air by using vent tiles, or is ventilation not the answer to this type of mould?

Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks

Ben

Sponsored Links
it`s definitely lack of ventilation - but at least you haven`t got "breathable" :rolleyes: membrane - like new builds , where I predict loadsa trouble . so maybe you have eaves vents already and just need to move the insulation , as you suspected

Thanks for the reply

Will the timbers need treating once the ventilation is sorted or will any mould stop growing once air is flowing through?

I will check for eaves vents, if there are none are ventilation tiles suitable?

THis is a mid terrace, 180 year old house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back