Detached garage conversion to habitable, permission req?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was considering converting a detached garage to a habitable room where someone could sleep, I read up on the planning portal site that it is permitted but it doesn't say anything about making it habitable for someone to sleep in?

Can someone help me?

Thank you

Jack

Sponsored Links
You probably won’t need PP but you need to check as under certain circumstances you will. But the garage must comply with a whole host of Building Regulations if it’s to become a habitable space with sleeping accommodation; this may be difficult to achieve with out extensive building works & cost.

If you revisit theplanning Portal http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/garageconversion/
What you will need to do to comply is well listed further down the page.

You would likely have to "create" parking space to make up for the loss of the garage.

the garage is placed towards the back, it isn't really used to park a car, a car wouldn't fit through the space between the house and the next house, we have a front drive way which fits about 3 cars anyway.

Would we still need to create a space?

Sponsored Links
No, there are few garages you can fit a car in nowadays, its practically a given that garages aren't used for car storage any more.

Planning Permission is not required for garage conversions unless PD rights have been removed or the house has another anomaly eg listed or in a conservation area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back