maybe a silly question - shower base tiling

spx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've just knocked off all the tiles in my shower (three sided type) ready to re-tile. The shower base is a contcrete acrylic type that is heavily scratched.

I don't really want to replace it as it is cemented in but was thinking of screwing lenghts of 3x3" over the top of it to the walls , then 3/4" marine ply on top with another four lenghts of 3x3 creating a square around the sides to create a step to stop water leaking out then tiling the whole thing over.

Just wondering if it's a stupid idea as it will likely leak or worth a shot? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I think aquaboard of some kind is more usual than marine ply, though I'll leave that to the tilers to advise on. Just wanted to say it strikes me as a little odd to want to do that amount of work to avoid replacing a badly scratched tray. It's not like it'll add that much to the job given that you're rebuilding the enclosure.

Agree with Sherlock ; to be blunt it is a totally stupid idea, a pointless waste of time & cash & will look totally naff. But if you really want to throw money at a lost cause, use a 12mm waterproof tile backer board; don’t use ply (even marine ply), it’s totally out dated & unsuitable as a wall tile base, especially in a wet area.

Honestly, you’d do better to rip the lot out & start again, a new tray won’t cost that much. But if you do decide to go with it, make sure to read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts first as it sounds like you need some serious advice & guidance.

I dont think you will get on well with tiles sticking to 3x3 due to the movment in the timber, the 3x3 will also move alot more than the ply too. How would you plan on tiling the edges of the 3x3 without causing sharp edges that would slice your feet to bits.

(edited - spelling)

Sponsored Links
Cheers Guys,

Yer thought it might be a lost cause, was just worrying that I would break the floor tiles getting it out. Seen a couple of pictures where the shower tray (area) is tiled and I thought it looked nice.

Ah well start a fresh I guess

Ta.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back