CCTV PROMBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have a 4 camera CCTV DVR system, and for the last 2 months, when I turn the channel over to watch what was going on outside. One camera that has a microphone was making a loud buzzing noise, so I only watched it with the sound off. Yesterday all the cameras stopped working, no picture at all.

I checked the power to the cameras which was from a 'switching adaptor power supply' It says on the bottom of the unit output 12v----3500mA, now I had a spare power adaptor which on the bottom it says 12v----1250mA.

Now it is working fine.

My question is what is the correct power adaptor? And why the difference in mA.

Many Thanks.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Different items require more power.
Depending on the camera you can require 500ma per cam, add in a heater and it goes up even more.
A regulated PSU is always best. Hence the switching one droping off.
4 Cams should in theory work off a 1200ma PSU.
I assume the cams are powered sepertatly from the DVR?

Your sound issue is the mic is covered either in dust or not given enough distance from the openeing it sits in.

It's not uncommon for manufacturers to overrate the supplies. They do this because sometimes the same psu is used for different brands, or in this case might supply more than the four cams you've got fitted. The spare could be a higher rated supply which has been down-labelled, or is producing more than the rated supply.

If the cams have auto sensing infra red led's, they might overload at night, but if you've got through one night you'll prolly be ok. If it's working now, great, you don't need to be asking too many questions...

Suppliers understate ratings. That way they cannot be accused of supplying items which cannot perform.

In this instance the wrong one was used.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the above posts, I wanted to wait until it was dark to check everything and it all works.

Very happy. :mrgreen:

Andy

Thank you for your reply.
It is always apperciated when someone makes the effort.

Regards

Alarm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back