upvc door not closing properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My front door has stopped closing properly...seems like the door has dropped on the handle side.

It is uPVC and the multilocking system broke long ago...(a DG repair man told me previous owners didn't want to get a whole new mechanism)

Now (seemingly very suddenly) it won't stay closed but will lock easily - also noticed on the handle side at the bottom of the frame is a fresh groove where the metal of the redundant multi point locking mechanism has been catching there...

...suspect it might have something to do with child slamming/swinging on /fiddling....

Read about toe and heeling for door dropping - this door is made up of 3 double glazed panels which make up most of the width of the door and run vertically for almost the full length of the door...
not sure if that would cause less of a problem - and also the fact it seems to have just happened over night ...

And the four hinges are more or less the same design as these
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89234

they might have always been like this and I've not noticed but the nut on the top of the top hinge is sticking up right out of the hinge- and the next one down sticks up a little - the plastic bit at the bottom (it screws into?) seems cracked - (tried to tighten this up but it just seems to go round and round)...the 2 lower hinges the nuts are flush with the top of the hinge but the plastic bits seem to be missing all together...

So toe and heel? or problem with hinges?

Sponsored Links
If the door glazing wasn't packed properly when installed (at the bottom by the hinge and at the top by the lock), the door can drop on the handle side. It can probably be jacked up and packed and then, hopefully, the door lock mechanism replaced.

So it does sound like toe and heel then rather than a problem with the hinges?
Are the hinges all right as they are? Is it right that the top nut things seem to be hanging out?

My eldest has just started flying in and out on her own (can't seem to go through a door normaly :rolleyes:) could that have loosened the packing?
Or they both have been known to swing on the handles of interior doors - managed to loosen the screws in the hinge on the living room door....

We had this problem and called in cloudy2clear door fixed in 20 minutes

Sponsored Links
Do you know if it was the hinges or if they took the glazing out?

Currently managed to move the locking plate out a bit so it is working for now but not a permanent fix...

Also not sure how to toe and heel this design of door (three vertical glass panels) - will I have to just repack the glass unit next to the lock or do the one next to the hinges as well?

This might be the last straw -time to replace the whole lot....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back