Boiler coming on when programmer is off?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there people,

I have a problem with my boiler where it still comes on even though the programmer is switched off. The thermostat still controls whether it comes on or off, but it still comes on when the programmer is set to off.

Although, when the programmer is due to come on (at certain time) this still works and the boiler fires up as normal.

I have gravity fed Potterton boiler. Any ideas or suggestions would be most grateful!

Sponsored Links
what motorised valves do you have ?
1 x 3 port or 2 x 2 ports ?

sounds like you have two seperate valves and the heating one is sticking.

have you 2 of theses.
imapo.jpg

or 1 of these

imagesug.jpg

does the room stat still control it when its firing up with the programmer off ?

Sponsored Links
I will have a look when I get in, would these be inside the boiler? Or somewhere else?

Yes the thermostat still controls the boiler when the programmer is switched off.

Thanks for your help

so if programmer off
then the boiler fires up and you turn room stat down the boiler will stop ?

sounds like the programmer is still giving out a live to the room stat when it should be off.
you need to locate the live to the room stat from the programmer heating on and test with a multi meter.
if live when programmer off programmer is faulty.

I had a look in the airing cupboard last night and we have 1 of the bottom images (so not 2 of the other one). Does that help??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back