Best tool to re-shape edges of concrete slab ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ground floor flat has a small patio, with a concrete base that very cunningly lifts at the edges and pools water up against the wall. I would like to take the edges off & remaining tiling adhesive before laying a new layer of concrete to provide a slope away from the building.

What's the best tool to achieve this given that I don't want to break the slab up, only take the edges off ?

Sponsored Links
Have you picture you can upload?
Could well be a case of getting an angle grinder to it, and smoothing off with something abrasive, like a carborundum stone.

If you prefer you might be able to grind the surface to an acceptable level with a floor planer/grinder they also come in small hand held varieties although this may only be suitable if refinishing with tiles/slabs etc.

If you want to cut it out use a stihl saw/ power saw not a grinder as cutting deeply into concrete with one can be dangerous, better off using something with a clutch like a stihl, then if it catches it won't bust your wrist.

Try a diamond grinding disc in a 4" grinder. There about £60.
Have one in the van. Don't know where youd get one though.

Sponsored Links
Just thought i'd mention it may be more cost effective to hire a specialized hand held floor grinder for the day. My local lot will do one for 25 for a day but if you'd use it again, buying as Norcon suggested may be a good idea. I think you can get them from screwfix and the like but may be called grinding cups. Or as PBD says steal his from his van.

Its morning, daylight and I can post some pictures :

Patio is approx 3m by 1m.

I had a go yesterday with a good old lump hammer & chisel, managed to do this in ~ 2 hrs before thinking a power tool would be better. For all my inteligence I can be slow sometimes. :eek: Besides it was a nice day.

This is what I need to deal with. By my reckonin I need to take the edge back about 6". I also need to repair the leg ends of the balcony that surprise surprise after 40 years have rotted off, but I think I have a solution for that. Just need to find some square tube with a 1" CSA. Or I did the whole thing out and send it off to a fabricator for repair

The only other mild concern i have is how close the slab is to the DPC As this somewhat limits thick I can lay a new finishing layer. comments appreciated.

The final intent is to lay some decking or similar to provide a finished surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back