Boulter Camry Quartet with Riello 40 locked out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
A month ago I called the boiler guy out as I had a strong smell of oil in the kitchen, after a 3 minute visit he told me it was my imagination! Last weekend I found oil pouring from the filter on the outside wall and my oil tank had run dry as result ! Boiler man came back first firstly to confirm it was a faulty filter, then 2nd visit with wrong replacement filter then yesterday finally with the right filter.
Oil guys delivered oil first thing this morning.
Turned boiler back on (oil @ tank and boiler have been switched off since last weekend) and the lock out button is on. If I press reset it runs for a few seconds but locks out again before it ignites. All external settings are correct so I know the oil is coming through to the boiler but it's not working.
Am tied to this boiler man as he's contracted to the estate I rent from but he's never contactable, let alone on a weekend. I'll be lucky if he appears Tues/Wed. I'm fuming with him but cold so would like to get this sorted myself if I possibly can.
Anyone got any ideas if there is anything simple I can try to rectify the problem, does something need cleaning if it's dredged the muck up from the bottom of the tank maybe?
Single female with common sense but no technical experience so explanation as well as guidance might be helpful pls.
Tnx muchly.

Sponsored Links
If youve run out of oil,then you have got air in the oil pipe feeding the boiler,on the bottom left of the riello burner there is a grey oil pump.

This needs the bottom left hand nut facing you to be undone gently to allow air to come out,just unscrew it a few turns anticlockwise until oil runs out,tighten up nut and fire the boiler up. Good luck

Thanks so much for trying to help ... do I need to take the cover off the Riello burner to see this pump ? If so is there an easy way of doing this as the cover seems to be attached at the top but I can't easily get to the top of the Riello cover as there's a round red metal cover above it ... sorry to sound dumb, I'm usually quite OK with DIY but don't want to bust anything when I don't know what I'm doing.
Incidentally there is a pipe with nut, on the bottom left of the Riello cover with a swicht that turns 90 degrees left - it's upright parallel with the pipe at the moment and there's a green and yellow electric cable in front of it - you don't mean that nut do you?

Tnx Kaz

You need to get that red plastic cover off to see the oil pump,undo the two little nuts either of the cover and pull it away

Sponsored Links
Sadly not two little nuts either side, if only, ... is one, on the top, which I can't get to because of the round red metal cover on the upper half of the boiler front which goes down to cover the top bit of the Riello cover !!

Lift off the large round thing from the frame it sits in. Lean it against the side of the boiler.
If you have a plastic cover, you have an RDB burner, not a riello 40.
You should now see a screw in the top of the cover and another in the front towards the bottom. Undo both of these and the cover lifts off.On the left hand side you will see the oil pump with a brass hexagon stem pointing at you. Undo the allen screw in the end slightly to let air out. If you can see an isolating tap, then turn it off and remove the screw completely. Turn the tap back on, getting ready to turn it off when oil comes. Replace the allen screw, turn on the fuel and start the boiler.
You may find that you have to bleed the filter. If there is a screw, or screw, in the top, then loosen these until oil comes out. Do this before bleeding the burner.

Probably a stupid suggestion - but have you reported this feeble excuse of a "Boiler engineer" (I use the term lightly) to the Estate Office?

I would have thought that if tennants complained enough about a Service company the agent would do something to put the job out to tender with diffrent organisations TBH this chap sounds DANGEROUS!!

My Company would love the chance to Quote for an Estate contract like yours!

Boilerman 2, You do not know the other side of this deal. Some tenants are most inconsiderate in dealing with tradesmen. For instance, when trying to arrange services, they are never available in normal working hours, and the landlord has no automatic right of entry. When something breaks down, you can be treated like something trodden in by their shoes.
Very few tenants treat their boilers with anything like respect.

Boilerman 2, You do not know the other side of this deal. Some tenants are most inconsiderate in dealing with tradesmen. For instance, when trying to arrange services, they are never available in normal working hours, and the landlord has no automatic right of entry. When something breaks down, you can be treated like something trodden in by their shoes.
Very few tenants treat their boilers with anything like respect.

100% agree

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back