Potterton suprima boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello , I have a Potterton Suprima 40L boiler that has been fitted in a flat by a previous engineer (who never completed the work)and is only just being connected up after sitting on the wall for 3 years.I have had the gas checked and the pipework and the supply to the boiler are fine, as well as the electric supply.

My problem is that when the boiler starts up , the fan engages and starts to run but i seem to be getting no spark and obviously the boiler does not fire up as a result, this then goes into lookout and once ive tried a reset it does the sequence again, but still no spark. Ive check the electrode and the gap is fine (3-4mm) and there seems to be 218volts at the electrode but no signs of operation..

Also have heard about pcb problems with this model but any further help or tips to get this going would be very very grateful as after 8 hours of trying to get it running in near freezing conditions was not fun..

Sponsored Links
There could be all sorts of things wrong - you need a boiler man to check it over as well as diagnose the fault.

This boiler has never been commissioned and so is classed as At Risk by Gas Safe.

The obvious advice is to call a registered engineer and not to attempt gas work for which you are not qualified or eexperienced.

Tony

Sponsored Links
You can search for an engineer on the Gas Safe web site.

Just for information..............these boilers were notorius for board problems , most all breakdowns i've attended with these boilers are board related , some of the later 'L' suffix suprimas used the updated board.....................i have a surprima in my own house which is 12 yeas old , have fitted two boards & one fan assbly to date , last board was the later type with no issues so far.

Even in Scotland three years ago should probably have been a condensing boiler.

So the county sherrif might be gunning for him!

Boiloer was installed just over 3 years ago and theres no chance the engineer can be contacted since hes now 6ft under.. As i said ive had all the gas system tested just needing a diagnostic on the boiler before i go oredring a new pcb and there be a slight lack of available engineers up here bar a few that are booked up till late on in the year..

The later suprimas used a water flow switch , these are located on flow pipe to left hand side of heat exchanger , remove leads & bypass switch , my guess is flow switch has siezed , some installers just bypassed these switches as they were troublesome , the flow switch is interlocked with air pressure switch.

could be either

flow switch (Do not bypass it as it is a manufacturer installed safety device) but unlikely (I have never come across a stuck one Iron how many have you seen, not beeing funny just interested :) )

APS

blocked venturi

slow fan

or

PCB

good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back