Flue from boundary.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Flue is only 30cm from the boundary of my home. I'm told it has to be at least 60cm. Are there any solutions apart from moving the boiler?

I have a combi boiler. I want to replace it with another combi or condenser.

Sponsored Links
theres always a solution, but more info about boiler and location reqd. Picture or sketch might help, but expect you need to get a competant gas man in to advise. Check with family or friends for a recommendation.

Sponsored Links
Building regs Part J (new as of 1st Oct 2010) have been explicitly modified to state that condensing boiler plumes that meet the building regulation requirements for flue termination location may still cause a statutory nuisance. They advise (section 3.23) that following the Guide to the Condensing Boiler Installation Assessment Procedure for Dwellings chapter 6 will meet requirements for avoiding nuisance. These requirements list considerably larger clearances than Approved Document J, and larger than most MIs. For example the minimum distance to a boundary from a horizontal flue outlet is 2,500mm instead of 600mm. Nuisance can be avoided with smaller clearances by using a plume diverter such that the distance to the boundary in the direction the plume is emitted is at least 2,500mm.

Although the statutory nuisance regulations are completely separate from building regulations, the reference to them now included in the building regulations means that you might get pinged for these new distances.

It seems the three RGIs above would have got it wrong and ended up having to move your boiler when it discharged over your neighbour's land within 2500 mm and he objected to the pluming.

Tony

It sickens me that even in the 21st century that people are starving,disease is wide spread and people moan about a bit of steam over a boundary lol

OK then, would it be better to create a Tsunami to wash the neighbour's house away then?

It sickens me that even in the 21st century that people are starving,disease is wide spread and people moan about a bit of steam over a boundary lol
It is not so much the people that complain, as the nanny-state created by 13 years of Labour.

I dont think that you can blame the troubles in the middle east from dictators or earthquakes and tsunamies all on the labour Government.

Tony

It is possible to flue vertically. There are systems for liners in chimney stacks, either for conventional or balanced flue operation.

Lets all join in. I was always told in the absence of MI's then Building Regs apply. Common sense as well may help! :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back