bathroom wall lights advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I would like some advice please on the correct method of installing zone 2 wall lights in my bathroom before i notifying building control.

As can be seen in the pictures, i have marked a cross where i would like to fit 2 x zone 2 wall lights.

I plan to run twin & earth from the nearest downlighter to the wall light fitting but would like to know if i need to install in conduit as this would prove very difficult as i don't have access to the other side of the wall. If not i suspect the cable should still be clipped in place which again i can't see how you can do this. For info the walls are stud partitioned.

Also i plan to remove the mirror light as i will be fitting a full wall mirror. The light is part of the main radial lighting circuit so i plan to join the cables by crimping (calibrated tool) as i believe this is classed as a permanent join which doesn't require access? Is this the correct way of going about this?

All guidance much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
first/top picture.
the x mark is still in zone 1
If you use the downlights as a feed, the wall lamps will be switched by the same switch.
Why are you joining the cables for the mirror light? and crimping is not recommended, neither is leaving them buried in the wall, if this part of the circuit is being made redundant

It maybe be better to use the cables supplying the mirror light power, for your wall lights, the cables must be run in permitted safe zones, you also need to consider how they are being switched (I assume the wall fittings have a switch function?).
Plus you may need to install RCD protection for this addition or the whole circuit.

first/top picture.
the x mark is still in zone 1
If you use the downlights as a feed, the wall lamps will be switched by the same switch.
Why are you joining the cables for the mirror light? and crimping is not recommended, neither is leaving them buried in the wall, if this part of the circuit is being made redundant

It maybe be better to use the cables supplying the mirror light power, for your wall lights, the cables must be run in permitted safe zones, you also need to consider how they are being switched (I assume the wall fittings have a switch function?).
Plus you may need to install RCD protection for this addition or the whole circuit.

Thanks for your reply.

Note taken about being zone 1. I haven't chosen the lights yet but they will operate on their own switch.

I guess it would make sense to use the cables supplying the mirror light as this has a permanent live although I would still need to make a join to reach the wall lights . The reason for crimping the cables is because the mirror light is being removed and not replaced. Instead I will install a full size wall mirror so any cabling behind it will be inaccessible. Hence my decision to crimp as I believe this is acceptable.

Is there a better way of doing this and do I need to RCD protect?

The best way to do this, would be to remove the cable to the mirror as this could be a potential hazard, as removing the lighted mirror could then take this cable outside a permitted safe zone.
Then Ideally take feed from the lighting circuit or possibly a socket outlet from the room the other side of the bathroom wall, this will need down fusing though via a FCU (fused connection unit).
Yes you will need RCD protection unless the circuit you are going to take the feed from is already protected by one.
Not sure if you have already contacting building controls or notified them of this work or if it is already part of an application.
But if you have not, are you aware of the fees that they charge? and weighing this up against an electrician that is a member of a domestic scheme provider, who can install this and sign this work off for you.
Could work out cheaper and you can put your feet up.

Sponsored Links
Why do you need wall lights?

You've got at least 6 lights already in that room - don't tell me they don't light it up properly...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back