Powering Audio Amp from extractor fan??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing some ceiling speakers into my bathroom (easy part) and wish to install a Sonos amplifier into the ceiling void (easy again) - however I need to power this thing somehow.

The plug on the power cable has a 5A fuse - can this be powered from the permanent live going to the extractor fan?

Not sure how else to get power into the ceiling other wise.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Why not put the amplifier somewhere sensible and just take cables to the speakers. You will have to run cables to the amplifier for the sound so run speaker cable instead.

I assume the speakers are suitable for a damp steamy bath room. Soggy loudspeaker cones do not work very well and are not at all pleasant if they disintegrated and drop on you when in the bath.

Thanks for the prompt response.

The amp is actually wireless as far as sound input goes so after power will need nothing else.

Of course, locating the amp somewhere more sensbile and running the speaker cable is an option, but running the speaker cables elsewhere will be difficult hence my idea of locating the amp with the speakers.

The speakers will be "bathroom" speakers which I presume will have plastic cones rather than cardboard?!

Cheers

burton

The amp is actually wireless as far as sound input goes so after power will need nothing else

So when the amplifier starts blurting out random noise received on the radio channel how will you silence the speakers ? Climbing into the loft could be very chilly if you were in the bath at the time.

Or does it have a waterproof wireless control that will silence it ?

Sponsored Links
The amp is actually wireless as far as sound input goes so after power will need nothing else

So when the amplifier starts blurting out random noise received on the radio channel how will you silence the speakers ? Climbing into the loft could be very chilly if you were in the bath at the time.

Or does it have a waterproof wireless control that will silence it ?

That won't happen, as Sonos is a wireless IP based streaming system, rather than an analogue audio transmitter/receiver system. I'd say the OP would probably be fine feeding the amp from the lighting circuit via an FCU fitted with 3A fuse, but it's still a bit of a rough workaround IMO.

You need to work out the total load on the lighting/fan circuit (add up all the lights isolated by that MCB but use maximum values for each fitting eg normal pendant=100w, GU10 downlight=50w) even if the existing bulbs useless than this, and also tell us the power requirements (maximum, input, watts) of the amp. The max for a 6A MCB is 1380w. If this circuit is not on a 6A MCB pls post more details.

The amp and connections will need to be accessible for inspection maintenance after the works are finished.

The amp and connections will need to be accessible for inspection maintenance after the works are finished.
They will also need to be completely sealed from the bathroom, otherwise damp/condensation will get in and destroy them.

Or just buy a battery powered radio and use that.

Jacob_Golden_02.jpg

Yeah not sure how it would work being in the ceiling come to think of it. What do the manufacturers instructions say about placement of the amp?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back