New Radiators to old pipes - distance from wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to find two new radiators to fit onto existing pipes which are fixed in a tiled / concrete floor. There's very little pipe movement available - a few mm at most. I don't want to force them to move too much, as damaging them in the floor would be a disaster!

One is 35mm from pipe centre to the wall.

The other is 55mm from pipe centre to the wall.

All help appreciated.
Ant

Sponsored Links
The pipes obviously are connected to a radiator already, so the easiest way to replace it is to find one that when it's mounted, has the inlet and outlet connections are the same distance from the wall as the present one.

This is not as difficult as it sounds. Radiator brackets are 'L' shaped so one side being shorter than the other will hold the radiator closer to the wall than the other. If the distance you require falls between the two, a piece of plywood, or timber cut to size behind the bracket can make up the difference.

The problem is getting new radiators "thin" enough.

I cannot find a single panel that is 35mm or less from centres to wall.

And really we want a type 21 (2 panels, single set of fins) for the 55mm centre to wall distance. I can't find one of those either.

I could put a single panel where the type 21 used to be. that will be down on heat output, and still leaves the 35mm as a problem.

Any suggestions? Brands that are particularly close to the wall? Brands with really thin brackets?

What sometimes can work, depending on situation, is moving the support brackets in and out of the wall. In by chasing out a section (assuming block/plaster), out by packing behind the bracket and putting longer screws in.

There's also the obvious fix of turning the bracket around - one side's longer than the other...

If that still doesn't do it for you, lift the radiator up the wall and re-do the pipework after it comes out of the floor. The extra height will give you more wiggle room to make up the new tails if it's too tight to do at the current height.

Sponsored Links
I've made a bit of progress. The good news is that I've found a supplier of rads with small wall to pipe centre distances! Prorad make a type 11 which is 33 or 55mm from wall to pipe centres, and a type 21 which is 56 or 78mm.

The type 11 is fine. The old rad was a type 11 at 1080mm wide and prorad do a type 11 at 1000mm. 2 x 40mm spacers required. 906W of heat. Probably lost about 80W here but I reckon that will do.

The type 21 is still a bit of a problem. The old width was 1350mm. Prorad do a 1300 in a type 11 or type 22, but not a type 21. So, I have to choose between a 1200mm type 21 (1612W - about 200W down on the old one) and pad it out by 150mm with spacers, or a 1300mm type 11 (1178W - about 600W down on the old one) with 50mm of spacers.

Any suggestions? The room is a kitchen and it's always been quite toasty in the past.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back