Blanking a common flue Duct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am pricing a job to remove an old boiler and fit a combi in the kitchen.

The current boiler is connected to a common flue chimney.

How do I blank it off? Is there a special blank?

Don't want to take on job without checking this first as I have never seen this before.

Any advise would be appreciated.[/b]

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Yes I am a RGI.

I spoke to gas safe today and the first person advised me that I can get a purpose made blank that works on the same principle as an essex flange. Makes sense but I cant source one anywhere.

I called Gas Safe again and another gentleman explained that I can put a metal plate over it or Masterboard and provided it is sealed correctly then that is acceptable.

It is a block of flats in Edinburgh and the flue is still in use for the flats above and bellow.

Just wondered what all the options were.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Yes I am a RGI.

I spoke to gas safe today and the first person advised me that I can get a purpose made blank that works on the same principle as an essex flange. Makes sense but I cant source one anywhere.

I called Gas Safe again and another gentleman explained that I can put a metal plate over it or Masterboard and provided it is sealed correctly then that is acceptable.

It is a block of flats in Edinburgh and the flue is still in use for the flats above and bellow.

Just wondered what all the options were.

:?: :?: Essex flange =cylinder/water
SE duct = common flue.
Perhaps too much red ;) .

What am I missing :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back