installing door in single brick garage side wall, diy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi :D

i want to install a personal door into the side of my garage, its a single brick new build garage thats separate from the house.

my brother inlaw who works in construction reckons its just a case of cutting it out with a stihl saw, install a lintel and the door and its a pretty easy job.

he lives the other end of the country so i can't get him to help, i've installed a fence or two and a patio, and i'm, happy to make the cut with the saw etc.

apart from that is it just a case of screwing the frame in and installing the door?

i'd like to do it myself as i get satisaction from stuff like that, unless anyone thinks its not a diy job?

any other advice welcome:)

cheers

Chris

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have it sussed.

Just make sure that you are not too close to the corner of the building, i.e. no less than say 700mm.

If the bricks are frogged or perf's then you may have issues with these showing after the door is fitted.

As above with wandering perp' joints so select your cut wisely.

We sometimes fix a batten to the wall to help keep the machine straight.

Depending upon elevation or roof type then the soffit may prevent you cutting all the way to the top course. If you have a flat roof or are cutting into the gable end, ignore previous sentence.

thanks for the reply mate.

few terms i'm not sure on though :oops:

frogged, perf's and wandering perps?

good idea on the batten, its on a gable end so should be ok there :)

frogged: a brick with a recess in the top, these maybe laid either frog up or frog down.

perf's: perforated bricks, bricks with holes all the way though from one side to the other.

Your garage will almost certainly be built with one of the above (solid bricks do exist but are very unlikely to be used in a modern garage). When you cut the doorway you may end up with voids where you cut the bricks, especially with frogged bricks laid frog down. However the door frame should cover up any inperfections.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply mate.

few terms i'm not sure on though :oops:

frogged, perf's and wandering perps?

good idea on the batten, its on a gable end so should be ok there :)
leew has explained it perfectly. As far as 'wandering perp's' are concerned this comment relates to the position of the perpendicular joints in the brickwork.
If the perp's are not all in line then you are likely to end up with a cut through the edge of the brick resulting in unwanted fall out of remaining brick. This will look ugly against the door frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back