loft batten holder connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys
i am trying replace a broken batten holder in my loft. in the old batten holder there are 4 wiring 2 red twisted together in one hole and 2 black wire in 2 different hole. i know one of the black is live for switch other is neutral but there are no marking on the cable
i bought a batten holder (bayonet) from selco it also has 3 hole for connection but i don't know which wire goes in which hole.there are no marking on the holder like which hole is Live or N or loop, only one marking says E next the brasss hole but there are no marking on the other 2 hole
i have attahed a photo of the new holder.

plz help

//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=8299

Sponsored Links
As above, use a piece of choc bloc to connect the lives together.
Connect the earths to the earth terminal (E)

Don't even think of connecting the lives together in the 'E' terminal - that would render the exposed base of the lamp live, even when it's switched off. :eek:

For a BC lamp holder, It makes no difference whch of the two pins is live and which is neutral as the lamp is symmetrical and reversible.

ES lamp holders require Neutral to be connected to the outer shroud, and live to the central pin.

The two reds do not connect to the lampholder, put them in connector block and tuck into the base of the batten holder.

The earths go into terminal E and the individual blacks go into the other two terminals.

are you saying i dont need to connect red wire to the holder ? just leave it out.? but at the moment both red wire conected to one of the hole in the broken batten holder as well as 2 black in other 2 hole.
if i leave both red out , then there are only 2 black wire left. no earth wire i could see

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
i can only see 4 wire 2 red twisted together and 2 black. out of 3 holeon the socket , 2 red in 1 and 2 black in other 2 hole..

which is earth and which is live?

also its not a table lamp its light socket in my loft fitted on the wood batten
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back