thermostatic shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im new to this and I want to fit a thermostatic bar shower in my bathroom.

I have just got a new shower and been reading the manual and it needs a combi boiler with 25kW (85300Btu/h) but when looking at my boiler it's only 23.4kW (80000Btu/h) will this matter too much?

My boiler is in my bathroom and the pipes are only about 7m away from the boiler. Is this going to affect the shower only being 23.4 not 25kW? My boiler is a Worcester 24i if this helps.

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Should be ok what delivery does the shower require

Probably would have helped , if you had bothered your arse to read the instructions before you bought the shower, why not keep the shower & change your boiler???........

The combination boiler must be capable of rasing the temperature of 8 litres/min of incoming cold water by 45oC. this requires a boiler rating of 25kW (85300Btu/h) so he book says

Sponsored Links
traineegasman said:
Probably would have helped , if you had bothered your a**e to read the instructions before you bought the shower, why not keep the shower & change your boiler???........

tbh it would be cheaper to get a new shower

pinola said:
The combination boiler must be capable of rasing the temperature of 8 litres/min of incoming cold water by 45oC. this requires a boiler rating of 25kW (85300Btu/h) so he book says

Most, and someone will correct me pretty dam quick if I got it wrong, Combi boilers will raise the temperature of the water by 35°C

The 24i will give you 9.5 litres a min at 35°C

Doitall, you wrote "Most, and someone will correct me pretty dam quick if I got it wrong, Combi boilers will raise the temperature of the water by 35°C ".

All combi boilers are capable of raising the temperature by a greater amount (e.g. 45 degrees) if the flow is reduced, by for example partially closing the outlet tap. Providing of course that the DHW thermostat is set high enough.

In the case in hand, the requirement for 25kW output from the combi will only be critical in very cold weather when the incoming mains temperature may be say 5 degrees (in which case a 35 degree temprature rise would barely be adequate for the shower mixer).

Look matey, no need to turn into Dr. Who. The guy wants to know wether his shower will be hot enough...errr... yes it will...simple... :D ..end of story... he doesn`t need a biological breakdown of the universe.... ;)

I appreciate your comment Chris, But I was of the understanding that 35°C rise was the figure that Combi's were calculated on, you tell me I don't install the cans.

In this case the extra 10° C would make a significant reduction in the supply, which is very borderline to start with. I would guess the poster is pushing his luck especially in the colder months, in fact even 25kw seems a bit tight.

Doitall, Combi DHW flow rates can be quoted on any temp. rise, but for the sake of a fair comparison, manufacturers seam to have agreed to use 35 degrees rise as standard, although some also quote for 30 degrees.

The actual flow through the combi is usually limited by a flow restrictor, so it will be close to the flow quoted for the 35 degree rise (providing the flow isn't further restricted by outlet valves), but varying a bit with mains pressure.

As you rightly point out, the critical time for combis is the depths of winter when mains water temp. is not much above freezing, compared to maybe 20 degrees in the summer months.

Which is, in fact, all a load of complete crap, when you consider the actual question being asked... technical crap... his boiler will meet his needs & you know it...

wow been here 5 mins and started a war :) so i take it the boiler will be fine then :) itt's only a small house with 6 rads i will see how it goes in the winter.

thanks for your help

dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back