crabtree RCCB v RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
RCD (Residual Current Device) is a generic term which covers both Residual Current Circuit Breaker and Residual Current Breaker with Overload protection.

So Crabtree are just more precise than Wylex and I think you are correct about the CU in the link.

So why it is a wider unit ?

Both are dual pole isolators

EDIT: oh I noticed they are both labelled the same in that CU.

So why are they different widths ?

I think it is to do with the way the supply lines connect to the bus bar in that type of consumer unit. I think the wider one gets its line supply by clipping to the bus bar at the bottom and the narrower one connects via normal cables at the top.

Sponsored Links
Yes, at the rear at the bottom it has a plug on the left for supply busbar and one on the right for the load busbar but as Sparki23 says the second RCCB has to be configured in the normal way with connecting cables.
Saves having to cram a normal busbar and two cables into the main switch as do other models,I suppose but I'd rather have room for an extra MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back