New Business Phone System - recommendations?

aslong as you have QoS (Quality of Service) configured both on all switch gear and handsets aswell as gateways you should be ok
I wouldn't be concerned about site-to-site links (if we set any up) but would we be ok with calls across the Internet?

If we can get a 2Mb each way, 1:1, connection then I assume we can ensure QoS leaving our site but I don't know what happens after that - perhaps that depends on the destination and whether or not the PSTN network is used?

If we can get a dedicated line I would hope we can go for more than 2Mb.

There shouldn't be too much need for concern - what you're suggesting is that there is something fundamentally wrong with the core routing of the internet, which of course there isn't. As long as you can get a decent connection back to a datacentre in the London Docklands or similar area, the rest should take care of itself.

Sponsored Links
- what you're suggesting is that there is something fundamentally wrong with the core routing of the internet, which of course there isn't.
Well, just going on a couple of things including Bernard's post...
And it can vary from minute to minute if the routing over the internet changes during the call.

One minute the call can be clear speech with no echo and no delay and then the next minute it can be distorted, a few seconds delay for the speech to reach the other end and loud echoes being returned.

Maybe we can try it first - worst case if quality is an issue is that we would have to install a new system at a later date.

What Bernard mentions sound more like QoS issues on the local network - there are plenty of businesses out there who rely on VoIP, so clearly there isn't a problem with the technology when set up and used correctly.

we have been successfully using Asterisk (* as its known) for about 3 years now. it started as a "its free, lets see what it can do" it will run on basically any home pc, there is no license fee especially if you run it on Linux (we use Ubuntu)

try it if you have an old computer lying around in your office, the only thing it will cost you is a bit of time configuring it. ive heard of asterisk servers running on 486's!!

mucho info available from here regarding asterisk

Sponsored Links
Still gathering information but my head is spinning - there is so much that is contradictory.

Looking at the moment like it might not be the best idea to go with Asterisk without strong Linux skills. I'm on my third attempt at downloading a working Trixbox installation file to take a look.

you dont "really" need a full understanding of linux to run * just use Ubuntu (type of Linux) which has a GUI.

there are hundreds of install guides for Asterisk too.

just have a go, its all free

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back